From: Kevin on
The only update I have been unable to install without error is the KB946456.
Let me clarify what I mean. The update begins the install process and when
the system reboots it is unable to load windows and performs a repair. In the
update history the error code is 80242016.
I have tried:
a) turned off Norton virus & firewall
b) updated Norton
c) saving and installing download from hard drive
d) unplugging network connection b/c of DHCP portion of security update
e) made sure secure active x is enabled

This is a Dell Latitude D531, AMD Turion 64bit, Vista Home
From: TaurArian on
0x80242016 WU_E_UH_POSTREBOOTUNEXPECTEDSTATE The state of the update after its post-reboot
operation has completed is unexpected.

Well, the above isn't that helpful. Try a manual download and install

x86
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8ce9608b-7049-47cd-adc4-22a803877d33&displaylang=en
or X64
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d7b9c3d1-9c23-4e05-bac6-d0b327feaf53&displaylang=en

If that doesn't work, then start a free Windows Update support incident request:

Do post back with the results, others who are experiencing problems with Vista may be
assisted with your feedback.
--
TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2008 - Australia