From: Steve Doerr on
Thia has been failing since October last year. For a long while, there
were two updates that failed every time (the other being KB973565) but
eventually I ran the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista as
recommended in the help and KB973565 then installed. But KB971644 still
fails every time.

It's the Platform Update for Windows Vista, and I'm on Vista Business
(Build 6002: Service Pack 2).

Anyone got any ideas?

--
Steve
From: Shenan Stanley on
Steve Doerr wrote:
> Thia has been failing since October last year. For a long while,
> there were two updates that failed every time (the other being
> KB973565) but eventually I ran the System Update Readiness Tool for
> Windows Vista as recommended in the help and KB973565 then
> installed. But KB971644 still fails every time.
>
> It's the Platform Update for Windows Vista, and I'm on Vista
> Business (Build 6002: Service Pack 2).
>
> Anyone got any ideas?

32 or 64-bit?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Steve Doerr on
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Steve Doerr wrote:
>> Thia has been failing since October last year. For a long while,
>> there were two updates that failed every time (the other being
>> KB973565) but eventually I ran the System Update Readiness Tool for
>> Windows Vista as recommended in the help and KB973565 then
>> installed. But KB971644 still fails every time.
>>
>> It's the Platform Update for Windows Vista, and I'm on Vista
>> Business (Build 6002: Service Pack 2).
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>
> 32 or 64-bit?

32-bit.

--
Steve
From: Shenan Stanley on

Steve Doerr wrote:
> 32-bit.

Disable your AntiVirus software (temporarily) and...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

.... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
reboot when it is.

Disable your AntiVirus software (temporarily) and...

Try to update again.

Have any third party firewall software installed? May want to uninstall
that (if your AntiVirus/Firewall is a single product - I would rethink
that.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Steve Doerr on
Shenan Stanley wrote:

> Disable your AntiVirus software (temporarily) and...
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> .... and click on the "Microsoft Fix it" icon. When asked, select "RUN",
> both times. Check the "I agree" box and click on "Next". Check the box
> for "Run aggressive options (not recommended)" and click "Next". Let
> it finish up and follow the prompts until it is done. Close/exit and
> reboot when it is.
>
> Disable your AntiVirus software (temporarily) and...
>
> Try to update again.

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, the same error occurs.

> Have any third party firewall software installed?

Not that I'm aware. Windows Firewall is certainly on.

--
Steve