From: Janet Carroll on
I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and it
has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really would
like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates and
when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even comes up
when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that there
is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
suggestions? Thanks.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Windows version would be...?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

it)?

From: Janet Carroll on
I have Windowsw XP SP 2. McAfee subscription is current (one of the things
done was to reinstall McAfee but still had the error). Also McAfee firewall.
Never installed any other such as Norton. Everything was working ok until
mid-December and have not loaded any new apps during that time.

From: Janet Carroll on
Additional information. I just found that error code 80090008 exists for
Visual Basic for invalid algorithm specified. Could my Update error actually
be referring to VB?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Answer my questions by number in your reply (don't try to quote my post &
intersperse your anwsers):

1. To the best of your knowledge, when was the last time Windows Updates
successfully installed (e.g., mid-November 2009; September 2009 or earlier)?

2. Any particular reason you hadn't installed WinXP SP3 over a year ago?

[Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.]

3. Did a McAfee free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you bought
it? How about a Norton free trial? (Doesn't matter if you never used or
Activated it.)

4. Has your McAfee subscription (or free trial) ever expired, if only for a
day or two?

5. Is Automatic Updates enabled? If not, can you enable it, reboot & then
find it's still enabled?

6. The above notwithstanding, see if this McAfee three-step fix resolves the
problem: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Janet Carroll wrote:
> I have Windowsw XP SP 2. McAfee subscription is current (one of the
> things
> done was to reinstall McAfee but still had the error). Also McAfee
> firewall. Never installed any other such as Norton. Everything was
> working
> ok until mid-December and have not loaded any new apps during that time.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Windows version would be...?

>> bought
>> it)?
>>

>> Janet Carroll wrote:
>>> I've been working with Microsoft for over a month without resolution and
>>> it
>>> has now come down to reinstalling my operating system which I really
>>> would
>>> like to avoid. I noticed in December that I was not getting any update
>>> notifications so after about 2 weeks I went to the website for updates
>>> and
>>> when I click express I now get Error number: 0x80090008. This even
>>> comes
>>> up
>>> when I try to update windows defender software. I can't believe that
>>> there
>>> is no reference to what this error number refers to. Anyone have any
>>> suggestions? Thanks.
>>
>> .

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4