From: Janet Carroll on
Alan,
Yes, same symptoms. Interesting. I did a chkdsk last night and there was
an error(s) that were fixed and now I can't even download McAfee. Looks like
I will have no choice but to reinstall SP2 and then install SP3 on top of
that. I had installed SP3 18 months ago but it hosed my system at the time.
With a fresh reinstall hopefully it will work and I can reinstall my other
software.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You're going to need to do more than that.

Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of
Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT
fix this!

HOW TO do a clean install of WinXP: See
http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1 in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and
before using a flash drive or SDCard that isn't brand-new or hasn't been
freshly formatted:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Tip: After getting the computer fully-patched, download/install KB971029
manually: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

NB: Any Norton or McAfee free-trial that came preinstalled on the computer
when you bought it will be reinstalled (but invalid) when Windows is
reinstalled. You MUST uninstall the free-trial and download/run the
appropriate removal tool before installing any updates, Windows Service
Packs or IE upgrades and before installing your new anti-virus application
(which will require WinXP SP3 to be installed).

Norton Removal Tool
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: Janet Carroll on
PA Bear,
I did not see your reply yesterday. Last night I used PC restore from DELL
(Symantec) to reinstall XP. From your comments, are you telling me that this
may not have been enough and that I should have done a complete reinstall?
After PC restore, which supposedly wipes everything on my hard drive, I
reinstalled McAfee right away, received about 70+ updates from MS, started up
MS Office, etc. I have yet to install other software that was deleted,
restore files I backed up, and was thinking about installing SP3.

IF you think that I did not do a reinstall properly by flattening my hard
drive, let me know and I'll have to go to a technician. Otherwise, I will
continue with my rebuild. I appreciate all of your help on this.

BTW, if I continue, should I restore my backed ups files first and then SP3
and other software? Just wondering if the sequence matters.

Janet

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
After doing the "recovery," did you find all of your previous data still in
My Documents folder?

Did a McAfee or Norton free trial come preinstalled on the computer when you
bought it?

In your last reply you tells us that you "reinstalled McAfee right way" but
in an earlier reply you told us, "I can't even download McAfee." Explain.

The above notwithstanding...

If you've not installed any updates since November 2009 (which would mean
that you're now 3 months behind), I'd very strongly recommend doing a clean
install now, Janet.

From: Janet Carroll on
After doing the 'recovery' I do not have any data in 'My Documents' folder.
All of my previous files are gone but I do have a backup of them.

McAfee was preinstalled after my recovery but not as a trial version. I
worked with McAfee support last night and they cleaned up with the tool you
were recommending and I now have a current clean install of my McAfee
subscription running on my system.

Because I did the PC Restore for Windows XP I was again able to download
from McAfee as well as go out to Microsoft Update and run the 'Express'
option without getting the error code that started all of this. It seems to
take quite awhile to check my system but the only thing finally appearing is
to install XP SP3.

Over 70 downloads have been downloaded and successfully installed now on my
computer since doing the PC Restore last night bringing me from my initial
configuration 4 years ago of IE 6 to IE8 for example.

I think the problem has been resolved and I still have a lot of
miscellaneous software to reinstall and configure. The only things
noticeable right now are the slowness of the system to check for updates and
not being able to see images in my emails in gmail.

I still have to configure Outlook but was thinking maybe I should try to
install SP3 now before my system gets completely rebuilt (only because I had
problems installing it 18 months ago and had to have Microsoft assist in
backing it out).

I appreciate your thoughts.
Janet

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last