From: spamlet on

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> [Computer] originally was part of a college set that had a centrally
>> maintained
>> Sophos av...
>
> So you are not the original owner of this computer? Did you format the
> HDD & do a clean install of WinXP when it came into your possession?

Things are not so simple: the device and its software are still used on
projects of the original owner: just not maintained 'by' them. I would love
to reformat - esp as the drive has been trodden on at least once - but the
best I could do was delete everything that definitely wasn't needed and then
check disc and JKDefrag. The whole thing is in fact getting rather elderly,
but it was working reasonably enough until these updates - Av and MS.

From: spamlet on

"Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
> "spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> schrieb:
>
>> XP Home SP3
>
> For KB977165:
> <selfquote>
> KB977165 is a kernel update and ever since these are released for
> Windows XP, MS doesn't get those to install correctly as soon as it's an
> OEM system (with OEM drivers installed) on which these kind of updates
> should be installed on.
>
> To get these updates for Windows XP installed properly on these systems,
> you'll need to download the update from DownloadCenter:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2b348f5-ec8d-4782-bb03-5de550adea77
> *save* the file into a folder and execute the EXE with the parameter "/o"
> (like "/overwriteoem") afterwards.
>
> Let's assume you've downloaded the english version of KB977165 into a
> folder "Downloads" which is located on your C: drive. In this case
> please restart Windows in Safe Mode (hit the [F8] key after the BIOS
> screen occured while booting your machine). Then enter the following
> *including* all blanks and quote signs into "Run" in the Start menu
> and hit [Enter] or click on OK afterwards:
>
> "C:\Downloads\WindowsXP-KB977165-x86-ENU.exe" /o
>
> After rebooting Windows, the update shouldn't be reoffered by WU/AU once
> again.
> </selfquote>
>
> For KB975561:
> What version of Movie Maker do you have installed on your system?
> What's the file version of the "moviemk.exe" to be found in
> "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker"? Check via clicking the EXE with the
> right mouse button, choose "Properties" from the context menu after-
> wards and then click on the "Version" tab of the properties.
>
> Do you have Microsoft Producer 2003 installed too?
>
> Are there any indications to be found in the "KB975561.log" which
> is located in the "C:\Windows" folder?
>
> You also may want to uninstall Avast for test purposes and install
> Microsoft Security Essentials instead:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
>
> Bye,
> Freudi

Right, Thankyou Ottmar,

I've now done the 977165 (apparently at least...).
As for 9755561, I've never used Movie Maker or Producer, and I would not
even try to, as this is a very slow laptop. Can I safely ignore this
update?

Thanks for your careful reply.

From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> schrieb:
> "Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi(a)gmx.net> wrote in message

>> To get these updates for Windows XP installed properly on these systems,
>> you'll need to download the update from DownloadCenter:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2b348f5-ec8d-4782-bb03-5de550adea77
>> *save* the file into a folder and execute the EXE with the parameter "/o"
>> (like "/overwriteoem") afterwards.
[...]
>> For KB975561:
>> What version of Movie Maker do you have installed on your system?
>> What's the file version of the "moviemk.exe" to be found in
>> "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker"? Check via clicking the EXE with the
>> right mouse button, choose "Properties" from the context menu after-
>> wards and then click on the "Version" tab of the properties.
>>
>> Do you have Microsoft Producer 2003 installed too?
>>
>> Are there any indications to be found in the "KB975561.log" which
>> is located in the "C:\Windows" folder?
>>
>> You also may want to uninstall Avast for test purposes and install
>> Microsoft Security Essentials instead:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

> Right, Thankyou Ottmar,
>
> I've now done the 977165 (apparently at least...).

You're welcome and thanks for posting back! :)

> As for 9755561, I've never used Movie Maker or Producer, and I would not
> even try to, as this is a very slow laptop. Can I safely ignore this
> update?

Hm, it may help all of us if you'ld like answer the questions I've
asked you related to KB975561:

#4 (new)
Do you have "moved" the Program Files folder onto another folder or
partition?

Bye,
Freudi
From: spamlet on

> "spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> schrieb:
>> "Ottmar Freudenberger" <freudi(a)gmx.net> wrote in message
>
>>> To get these updates for Windows XP installed properly on these systems,
>>> you'll need to download the update from DownloadCenter:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2b348f5-ec8d-4782-bb03-5de550adea77
>>> *save* the file into a folder and execute the EXE with the parameter
>>> "/o"
>>> (like "/overwriteoem") afterwards.
> [...]
>>> For KB975561:
>>> What version of Movie Maker do you have installed on your system?
>>> What's the file version of the "moviemk.exe" to be found in
>>> "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker"? Check via clicking the EXE with the
>>> right mouse button, choose "Properties" from the context menu after-
>>> wards and then click on the "Version" tab of the properties.
>>>
>>> Do you have Microsoft Producer 2003 installed too?
>>>
>>> Are there any indications to be found in the "KB975561.log" which
>>> is located in the "C:\Windows" folder?
>>>
>>> You also may want to uninstall Avast for test purposes and install
>>> Microsoft Security Essentials instead:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
>
>> Right, Thankyou Ottmar,
>>
>> I've now done the 977165 (apparently at least...).
>
> You're welcome and thanks for posting back! :)
>
>> As for 9755561, I've never used Movie Maker or Producer, and I would not
>> even try to, as this is a very slow laptop. Can I safely ignore this
>> update?
>
> Hm, it may help all of us if you'ld like answer the questions I've
> asked you related to KB975561:
>
> #1:
> Which version of Movie Maker do you have installed on your system?
> What's the file version of the "moviemk.exe" to be found in
> "C:\Program Files\Movie Maker"? Check via clicking the EXE with the
> right mouse button, choose "Properties" from the context menu after-
> wards and then click on the "Version" tab of the properties.

2.1.4026.0

> Do you have Microsoft Producer 2003 installed too?

No

> Are there any indications to be found in the "KB975561.log" which
> is located in the "C:\Windows" folder?

There isn't one (the '165.log is there though)

> #4 (new)
> Do you have "moved" the Program Files folder onto another folder or
> partition?

No

On the other hand I haven't tried letting update try to install the 561
since I updated msinstaller, so I'll give that another shot.

Cheers,

From: spamlet on
Hi Ottmar,

I've been using Firefox so had not been visiting update via IE8 as it likes
one to do.

Going in via IE8 and letting it find all the updates that way it seems to
have worked and I have a whole lot more log files in the windows directory
than I did before, including the one that had been playing hard to get!

Thanks once again for your help.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: KB974417 0x80070643 KB976569