From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"Helge Haensel" <dj1wm(a)nurfuerspam.de> schrieb:
> Am 17.03.2010, 13:17 Uhr, schrieb Ottmar Freudenberger <freudi(a)gmx.net>:

>>> Yes I did and received error: "Setup cannot update your Windows XP files
>>> because the language installed on your computer system is different from
>>> the update language." No other error code.
>>> I changed the language before download to german, I am a german, and
>>> system language is german.
>>
>> Just to get this straight: The version of KB977165 for *german* languaged
>> Windows XP has thrown the error message after executing it?
>
> Yes!
>>
>> If true, you're most likely running a MUI version of Windows XP (not
>> uncommon especially for preinstalled Windows XP Media Center Edition
>> versions). Please try downloading and installing the *English* version
>> of
>> KB977165 for Windows XP then.
>
> No MUI, no Media Center, just WiXP/SP3 with all auto updates.
> I did that first, just by accident.

Ehm, once again:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2b348f5-ec8d-4782-bb03-5de550adea77&DisplayLang=de
would leed to download "WindowsXP-KB977165-x86-DEU.exe". Did you
download and try to execute that exe?

Bye,
Freudi
--
Macht euer Windows sicherer: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com - jetzt!
http://www.microsoft.com/germany/sicherheit/

From: microsoft.news.com on

Hi
IUs this a _fix_ for the original KB977165 that crashes my computer when I
try to install it (4 times so far...)
If so, can I have a likk to the English version please?

TY

From: Helge Haensel on
Am 19.03.2010, 09:01 Uhr, schrieb Ottmar Freudenberger <freudi(a)gmx.net>:

> "Helge Haensel" <dj1wm(a)nurfuerspam.de> schrieb:

>>> Just to get this straight: The version of KB977165 for *german*
>>> languaged
>>> Windows XP has thrown the error message after executing it?
>>
>> Yes!
>>>
>>> If true, you're most likely running a MUI version of Windows XP (not
>>> uncommon especially for preinstalled Windows XP Media Center Edition
>>> versions). Please try downloading and installing the *English* version
>>> of
>>> KB977165 for Windows XP then.
>>
>> No MUI, no Media Center, just WiXP/SP3 with all auto updates.
>> I did that first, just by accident.
>
> Ehm, once again:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e2b348f5-ec8d-4782-bb03-5de550adea77&DisplayLang=de
> would leed to download "WindowsXP-KB977165-x86-DEU.exe". Did you
> download and try to execute that exe?

I think I exactly did that. I did it again now from the link as given
above. This time a install process started and finished without errors.
New start of pc and all seems to be alright now. Thanks for help.

From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"microsoft.news.com" <zulu.romeotangohotel(a)ntlworld.com> schrieb:

> IUs this a _fix_ for the original KB977165 that crashes my computer when I
> try to install it (4 times so far...)

No. In case installing KB977165 crashes your system (you receive a
BlueScreen and/or Windows XP keeps rebooting), your system ist most
likely running malware. See
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010/02/17/update-restart-issues-after-installing-ms10-015-and-the-alureon-rootkit.aspx
http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010/03/02/update-ms10-015-security-update-re-released-with-new-detection-logic.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/security/updates/015/