From: p23185 on
I cannot get KB 979771 to install no matter what I try. It is a junk email
filter for Office 2003, and I am using Windows 7 - 32 bit. Anyone else
having this problem? I have rebooted, retry updater, check for new updates,
looked up the secret code "WindowsUpdate_0000052F" "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
(which really doesn't tell me what is prohibiting this particular update),
and have no luck. I have seen similar updates on my XP and Win 7 - 64
machines install without any prolems.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Tip: Insert your Office 2003 CD into the appropriate drive bay before the

Tip: If no joy, see if you can download the "fullfile" version of the
update(s) and then install it/them manually:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=05259fdd-d094-47ae-9adf-2d86cb68b1f1

Is KB949074 installed?...

Description of the update for Office 2003 (December 9, 2008)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074

Is Office 2003 SP3 installed?...

You cannot install an Office 2003 service pack
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884298

From: pmcvw on

p23185;1659955 Wrote:
> I cannot get KB 979771 to install no matter what I try. It is a junk
> email
> filter for Office 2003, and I am using Windows 7 - 32 bit. Anyone
> else
> having this problem? I have rebooted, retry updater, check for new
> updates,
> looked up the secret code "WindowsUpdate_0000052F"
> "WindowsUpdate_dt000"
> (which really doesn't tell me what is prohibiting this particular
> update),
> and have no luck. I have seen similar updates on my XP and Win 7 - 64
> machines install without any prolems.

I think that this may have something to do with MS Genuine Advantage
(Disadvantage???). Try the following which appears to get over the
problem.

1. Note the KB number and search the MS office download for it. ( You
may have to do a general search as very recent updates may not yet show
in office download. If you follow the 'More Information' link in your
failed update history it will probably show KB977713 which appears to be
what KB 979771 links to.)

2. When you find it do a manual download to RUN. When asked if you wish
to install say YES. As the install progress bar continues it will
probably stop about four times saying it "cannot continue because ...."
and offer the options of cancel, retry or ignore. Select IGNORE each
time. It should then continue to install and eventually advise that
update was successful.

3. If you now do an update check or attempt to install automatically it
should confirm that it was installed correctly.

Hope that this helps. It is worth trying this for any Office updates
which refuse to install.

mcvw

--
pmcvw

From: p23185 on
SUCCESS

I first tried to install -Is KB949074 installed?...
and during that process it kept stalling and saying drive "F" was invalid.
That reminded me that I had removed drive "F" (video files only and no MS
Office on that dirve). So I completely uninstalled MS Office 2003 and did a
fresh install. Then I downloaded SP 3, next the KB949074, and then checked
for Windows updates - 17 arrived included the ill-fated Outlook Junk email
filter KB 979771. All 17 installed correctly.

ps - last night I noticed the KB 979771 had come into my Win 7-64bit machine
an installed without any issues.
Thanks for all the help.

From: UnforgottenSoul on
I figured out an easy way to accomplish this.....when you are in the windows
update box, review the updates, then select/check the one that is not
installing. On the right hand side of the screen, there is a link for more
information. Click on that and scroll down the page until you get to
INSTALLATION DETAILS and it will have a download icon and say DOWNLOAD THE
UPDATE PACKAGE NOW....it will allow you to manually install the download with
no problems. Hope this helps....