From: albert on
Hi folks

After I installed 11.0 a few months ago I noticed that KDE (3.5) would not
shut down from the start menu - the screen goes blank and then the machine
hangs. I had to login as root and issue the shutdown command to shut down
the machine.

I understood from a posting here that this was an issue with the Catalyst
drivers, but after upgrading to 11.1 and the latest Catalyst (8.12) the
problem still persists (I'm staying with KDE 3.5). Clearly, there's a
process that's refusing to shut down, but it is not possible to see what
that could be when you're halfway through the shutdown process and the
screen is blank.

Only a niggle really, but I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Albert
From: nepo on
albert wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> After I installed 11.0 a few months ago I noticed that KDE (3.5) would not
> shut down from the start menu - the screen goes blank and then the machine
> hangs. I had to login as root and issue the shutdown command to shut down
> the machine.
>
> I understood from a posting here that this was an issue with the Catalyst
> drivers, but after upgrading to 11.1 and the latest Catalyst (8.12) the
> problem still persists (I'm staying with KDE 3.5). Clearly, there's a
> process that's refusing to shut down, but it is not possible to see what
> that could be when you're halfway through the shutdown process and the
> screen is blank.
>
> Only a niggle really, but I would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Albert

I have a similar problem with 11.0. When I go to shutdown from KDE 3.5,
it brings up the KDE 4.0 login screen, then I can shutdown my PC.
Installed KDE 4.1 on my 11.1 installation, so I can't comment on that
situation,

It appears that you are going to get some KDE 4 products even if you
only want KDE 3.5, and from what I've seen so far, I'm not too thrilled
with openSUSE 11.1 or KDE 4.1, but I've only installed it once so far.

Photorec works great at recovering lost jpg's though :). If only I had
csv's, since it randomly renames the recovered files. Too bad it doesn't
do avi's.
From: Vlad_Inhaler on
On Dec 20, 10:04 am, albert <albert.koelm...(a)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> After I installed 11.0 a few months ago I noticed that KDE (3.5) would not
> shut down from the start menu - the screen goes blank and then the machine
> hangs. I had to login as root and issue the shutdown command to shut down
> the machine.
>
> I understood from a posting here that this was an issue with the Catalyst
> drivers, but after upgrading to 11.1 and the latest Catalyst (8.12) the
> problem still persists (I'm staying with KDE 3.5). Clearly, there's a
> process that's refusing to shut down, but it is not possible to see what
> that could be when you're halfway through the shutdown process and the
> screen is blank.
>
> Only a niggle really, but I would be grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Albert

Just a thought (see my other post a couple of minutes ago), can you
start with Runlevel 1 (or 2 or 3)? If things hang after
"Starting jexec services"
then reboot (.ctrl. .alt. .del. does it) and kill jexec via YaST ->
system -> Runlevel.
From: albert on
Vlad_Inhaler wrote:

> Just a thought (see my other post a couple of minutes ago), can you
> start with Runlevel 1 (or 2 or 3)? If things hang after
> "Starting jexec services"
> then reboot (.ctrl. .alt. .del. does it) and kill jexec via YaST ->
> system -> Runlevel.

Thanks for the suggestion - however, jexec is not running on my system, in
fact, it's not even in the runlevel list. System starts normally in
runlevel 3.

Thx
Albert