From: John Bowling on
A way of setting the bar to the top of the screen. It is available in kde 3
and current xfce.
Also, kde 3 allowed me to put documents on the desktop (open office and web
pages). With kde 4, I can copy things to the desktop folder, but they do not
appear on the desktop? Is this a result of removing xfce and adding kde 4,
or is it inherent in kde 4?
From: John Bowling on
I found out how to put the bar on top.
And widgets are not what I need -
example is the system temperature by widget
1 - No drive temperatures
2 - A full widget slot on the bar for every temperature that does not
display numbers, and you have to pass the mouse over them to get any
temperatures, with the same window on any of them. Why not take up just one
space? I would rather have an icon on the desktop that will read and display
temperatures when I click on it. Things should be more than just flash -
make them useful and usable!

What I have been using on kde 3 is an html file (and/or a softlink to one)
that provides me with access to sites I go to often. Sure, a bookmark could
do it, but it does not allow me to add notes to myself about the site. It's
also easy to modify, update, and sort, where bookmarks are a real pain.

From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 12 Jan 2010 20:15, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
John Bowling painted this mural:

> Also, kde 3 allowed me to put documents on the desktop (open office and web
> pages).

So does KDE4.

> With kde 4, I can copy things to the desktop folder, but they do not
> appear on the desktop?

Do you have the desktop set to folder view? If not, change it to folder
view and your desktop will behave very much like the KDE3 desktop,
including letting you copy, softlink or store files or directories on
the desktop.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M0 32b
From: Chris Cox on
On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 13:15 -0700, John Bowling wrote:
> A way of setting the bar to the top of the screen. It is available in kde 3
> and current xfce.
> Also, kde 3 allowed me to put documents on the desktop (open office and web
> pages). With kde 4, I can copy things to the desktop folder, but they do not
> appear on the desktop? Is this a result of removing xfce and adding kde 4,
> or is it inherent in kde 4?

The desktop, if you will, is now a place of Plasma Widgets.

The default Desktop view includes a Folder View widget which happens
to be set to the Desktop folder.

Alternatively, you can use the Desktop Setting and change to
a Folder View for the whole desktop, which allows you to
view the Desktop folder as a set of icons on the desktop.

But other things like, for example, the Trashcan, is a
widget and that's a different "space". So it gets a bit
confusing when auto arranging things on the "desktop" in
folder view when you have widgets that LOOK like icons (e.g.
the Trashcan widget).

There are pros and cons to the default Desktop View (not
Folder View of the Desktop dir as the desktop). And, as you
noticed, the things you are "used" to doing, simply do NOT
work in that view...

The closest thing you can do at the moment to get a more
traditional desktop feel is to switch to Folder View as
your desktop (again, it should default to using your
Desktop Folder). Just be warned that certain things
are Plasma Widgets now and are managed independently
of icons and such layout wise (sigh).

KDE4 can be VERY confusing (it's different).

From: Paul J Gans on
Chris Cox <chrisncoxn(a)endlessnow.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 13:15 -0700, John Bowling wrote:
>> A way of setting the bar to the top of the screen. It is available in kde 3
>> and current xfce.
>> Also, kde 3 allowed me to put documents on the desktop (open office and web
>> pages). With kde 4, I can copy things to the desktop folder, but they do not
>> appear on the desktop? Is this a result of removing xfce and adding kde 4,
>> or is it inherent in kde 4?

>The desktop, if you will, is now a place of Plasma Widgets.

>The default Desktop view includes a Folder View widget which happens
>to be set to the Desktop folder.

>Alternatively, you can use the Desktop Setting and change to
>a Folder View for the whole desktop, which allows you to
>view the Desktop folder as a set of icons on the desktop.

>But other things like, for example, the Trashcan, is a
>widget and that's a different "space". So it gets a bit
>confusing when auto arranging things on the "desktop" in
>folder view when you have widgets that LOOK like icons (e.g.
>the Trashcan widget).

>There are pros and cons to the default Desktop View (not
>Folder View of the Desktop dir as the desktop). And, as you
>noticed, the things you are "used" to doing, simply do NOT
>work in that view...

>The closest thing you can do at the moment to get a more
>traditional desktop feel is to switch to Folder View as
>your desktop (again, it should default to using your
>Desktop Folder). Just be warned that certain things
>are Plasma Widgets now and are managed independently
>of icons and such layout wise (sigh).

>KDE4 can be VERY confusing (it's different).

And all this difference is good why?

--
--- Paul J. Gans