From: mike7411 on
I bought the MT-270S KVM off ebay. However, it didn't come with a
power supply. Any ideas what type of power supply it takes?

Thanks.

From: kony on
On 13 Sep 2006 09:03:41 -0700, mike7411(a)gmail.com wrote:

>I bought the MT-270S KVM off ebay. However, it didn't come with a
>power supply. Any ideas what type of power supply it takes?
>
>Thanks.

You might look online for specs, check the documentation or
a label on it, check the area around the power socket, or
open it up and inspect the circuit immediately following the
socket. For example, some have a linear regulator
immediately following that socket, which if a common but old
type like LM7805, should have at least 2V margin on the
supply (sometimes more but this at low current), or an LDO
regulator perhaps closer to 1V.

Current is quite low, practically any supply you found
should suffice, it will be more effort to find one with a
mating connector or add the approrpriate connector. As for
a ready-to-use supply that the manufacturer used, the only
likely source is through the sellers or
manufacturer/channels.
From: paulmd@efn.org on

mike7411(a)gmail.com wrote:
> I bought the MT-270S KVM off ebay. However, it didn't come with a
> power supply. Any ideas what type of power supply it takes?
>
> Thanks.

Does the label give you any hints?

From: mike7411 on
I found it here:

http://www.geliopol.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?rzm=info&group=4&vid=8&tvr=15

5-9 Volts DC

However, it seems to operate the same with the power supply as without.

What benefit is the power supply supposed to provide?

I thought it would allow the computers to detect my keyboard and mouse
even without the KVM focused on it. However, I still need the KVM
focused on each PC as it boots.

From: Rod Speed on
mike7411(a)gmail.com wrote

> I found it here

> http://www.geliopol.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?rzm=info&group=4&vid=8&tvr=15

> 5-9 Volts DC

> However, it seems to operate the same with the power supply as without.

Yeah, mine is like that too.

> What benefit is the power supply supposed to provide?

Its basically for when the KVM cant get enough power
out of the connection to the PCs its connected to.

In my case its completely academic since its a USB KVM and
all of the USB connections to the PCs provide plenty of power.

It would only be the most obscure configs like when most of the
PCs are only on some of the time and the one thats on most of
the time cant provide enough power thru the USB connection
where you would ever need to use the external power.

> I thought it would allow the computers to detect my
> keyboard and mouse even without the KVM focused on it.

That's a separate KVM function to where its gets its power from.
Some KVMs can do that, and the cheaper/cruder ones dont bother.

> However, I still need the KVM focused on each PC as it boots.

I find that varys with what you are booting. Quite a few of the more
modern OSs can handle booting without the KVM focussed on them
at boot time, particularly those that fake up the presence of a keyboard
and mouse when the PC doesnt have the KVM focussed on it.

Thats essential in my config, I basically use Synergy to share the
keyboard and mouse amoungst multiple PCs and only use the
KVM when I need to reboot a PC and be able to intervene during
the boot phase and that only happens very rarely, usually only
when doing a clean OS install on a particular PC or booting one
of the live CDs etc. With the PVR for example I normally reboot
that using the mouse ops with Synergy and so it boots without
that PC having the KVM focus, booting XP. If the system has got
itself into a mess, I just hit the reset button and still dont have the
KVM focussed on that PC as it boots. XP handles that fine.