From: DC on
Amazon.com customer review

I've used just about every security system in the world
over the years and a year ago settled on Kaspersky 2009,
which is easy to use, runs well, and does everything
perfectly.

Then, in September, it came time to renew my annual
license. I paid my money, and, instead of just renewing me,
Kaspersky sent me their new program, 2010. I installed it
with no problem. The interface is more complicated but not
*really* hard to figure out. After a while, however, I
started noticing that there were various sites that I
couldn't get to on the Internet (I use Chrome as my
browser). Then I discovered that some programs, such as
Eudora and Agent were taking longer and longer and longer
to shut down when I clicked the X in the corner. And that
almost *all* programs I opened or *all* websites that I
went to were *much* slower in starting up than they had
been before. I tried getting help for various issues at the
online Forum where various people send in their problems
and other people, including, I guess, some types hired by
Kaspersky, try to help them. I got various answers but not
very good ones.

I finally discovered by reading a number of anguished
threads in the Forum that *lots* of people were having
terrible slow-down problems with Kaspersky 2010, even
though 2009 had run smoothly...

Continued: http://xrl.us/Kasp2010

From: Slarty on
On 23 Dec 2009 21:11:47 -0000, DC wrote:

> Amazon.com customer review
>

> I finally discovered by reading a number of anguished
> threads in the Forum that *lots* of people were having
> terrible slow-down problems with Kaspersky 2010, even
> though 2009 had run smoothly...
>
> Continued: http://xrl.us/Kasp2010

Try switching to the simple KAV, I suspect that their software 'firewall'
is at the root of it. Problems seem to vanish when you ditch that. But I
didn't follow your link since my choice fixed my problem.

Kaspersky is not alone in creating unneeded problems by attempting, and
failing, to be all inclusive. Security suits are always a bad idea, IMO.

Cheers,

Roy
From: Wilf on
DC wrote:
> I finally discovered by reading a number of anguished
> threads in the Forum that *lots* of people were having
> terrible slow-down problems with Kaspersky 2010, even
> though 2009 had run smoothly...

It's true - I have been a Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) user for 4
years and have always been more than happy with the product. However,
KIS 2010 was a real problem in terms of slowing down my Vista Home
Premium laptop and I uninstalled it over a month ago. However, since
then, these problems have been fixed and on reinstalling KIS2010 a
couple of weeks ago I found there was no longer any slowdown and
everything was operating as it should. I suggest you try the latest
version of KIS 2010 (9.0.0.736). On installing version 736, you then do
an update which incorporates the latest fixes and requires a re-boot.
Then all is ok (or at least it has been for me).
--
Wilf
From: Robin Bignall on
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 17:07:11 +0000, Wilf <wilf(a)replyto.newsgroup>
wrote:

>DC wrote:
>> I finally discovered by reading a number of anguished
>> threads in the Forum that *lots* of people were having
>> terrible slow-down problems with Kaspersky 2010, even
>> though 2009 had run smoothly...
>
>It's true - I have been a Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) user for 4
>years and have always been more than happy with the product. However,
>KIS 2010 was a real problem in terms of slowing down my Vista Home
>Premium laptop and I uninstalled it over a month ago. However, since
>then, these problems have been fixed and on reinstalling KIS2010 a
>couple of weeks ago I found there was no longer any slowdown and
>everything was operating as it should. I suggest you try the latest
>version of KIS 2010 (9.0.0.736). On installing version 736, you then do
>an update which incorporates the latest fixes and requires a re-boot.
>Then all is ok (or at least it has been for me).

Thanks for that. I wonder why Kaspersky chose to release this as a
separate download (which was not communicated to licensed users)
rather than an automatic update.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Wilf on
Robin Bignall wrote:
> Thanks for that. I wonder why Kaspersky chose to release this as a
> separate download (which was not communicated to licensed users)
> rather than an automatic update.

It was an autoupdate. KIS2010 v 9.0.0.736 was, by and large, the
problem version (although there were some issues with earlier versions)
and is still the current version but the updates turn it into 9.0.0.736
(a.b)

--
Wilf