From: Benjamin Goldman on
Robin Banks wrote:

> Robin Banks <Your(a)email.com> whinged
>
> > Tonight, apparently. Master Ess has updated his Soundclick page,
> > and I have been charged to spam you poor folks with his new demo
> > song, a self exlanatory ditty that Master B. lifted from Gary's
> > JS-5 Jam Station.
> >
> > http://www.soundclick.com/garyess
>
> After conversing with the authors and musicians, some things were
> glaringly evident:
>
> 1. The first 8 bars were "kittywonkas"... A genuine Native North
> American term for "fzcked" or "Out of Square" according to Masters B.
> and S. This was alleviated somewhat by removing the scratch track,
> adding a synth to strengthen the melody out of the gate, chaging the
> bass patch to get rid of an out=of-tune sample, redoing the bass
> line, and sampling various guitar parts from all over the song.
>
> 2. There was a horrid vocal harmony that crept into the mix just
> before the modulation which made Gary's "skin crawl." This version
> fixes the harmony before the "Bb thing in the middle."
>
> 3. Guitars more upfront as befitting of a tune with "Nashville" in
> the name, and some mild compression added to de-spike the clean Tele.
>
> 4. Patches changed: Bass from Fretless to Fingered with gobs of
> reverb and no chorus, Synth from Caliope to Saw Wave with gobs of
> reverb AND chorus, and Muted Guitar patch bathed in reverb and
> chorus. Also more reverb on the drums, as the boys thought it was
> time to get him out of the broom closet and into the bar with them to
> meet all the old broads and drink a bit.
>
> 5. They want ME to do a vocal line on it! Good Lord, and I don't mean
> "Jon," they do NOT need a boozy old rocker ruining this thing!
>
> It's all here, minus the extra vocals, as I believe it sounds
> "British" enough. #4 on the Beach charts (Gary said this song has
> always "been a Beach" or something like that) and it is "Keep
> Nashville on Hold," brickwalled to anhilate songs 1, 2, and 3.
>
> http://www.soundclick.com/garyess
>
> Thank you for any help you can be with the mix as my ears are burnt
> out on this thing. It seems I can get it sounding fine in the 24 bit
> host, but it doesn't translate well to wave or worse, MP3, with the
> downsampling.

The beginning is still cattywompus but after a little time the song
becomes very good. The lead vocal is great. His vibrato is awesome -
very fluid.

That darn beginning can easily keep a listner from getting to the best
part . . . most of it is the best part BUT I think the beginning should
be tossed out and replaced.

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Robin Banks wrote:

> [...]
> > awesome - very fluid.
> >
> > That darn beginning can easily keep a listner from getting to the
> > best part . . . most of it is the best part BUT I think the
> > beginning should be tossed out and replaced.
> >

> Alas, Master S. actually wants to keep that beginning. It was
> entirely his idea. He explains the fact that it is a bit rough only
> underscores the irony of the theme. Also, I am just the mere
> technician in this process. He is the Author, Producer, and Performer.
>
> We have had some other very memorable performances out here, but it
> has had nothing to do with music or the arts! Perhaps you should
> visit sometime to see exactly what we are talking about, like when
> Master Smokin' Ray returns from working on the railroad in August! :o)
>
> Meanwhile since it is now far below Master B's "paygrade," I may have
> to assist Master BC mixing live shows and various festivals with

I'm going to try and get out there this August. Maybe the wife will
want to come with. I can get to your place same day. Not very short
time but same day. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Benjamin Goldman on
Robin Banks wrote:

> Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> tapped the mic and said
>
> > In news:Xns9D9E59904A0E0RobinBanksLLC(a)188.40.43.230 the killer robot
> > Robin Banks <Your(a)email.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> > cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
> >
> >> Oh dear! It just occurred to me that you may not know Master BC.
> He is >> a former student and disciple of the Legendary Master Bob,
> >> http://www.heilsound.com/pro/aboutus/ He has agreed to take me on
> as a >> temporary apprentice as required for his various venues.
> >
> > Well Heil, have 'em learn ya how to make a "Talk Box"! ;)
> >
> > That was the first Heil design I saw at the local music store.
> >

> I should be clear that Master BC, not Grand Exulted Poobah of Live
> Sound Bob Heil, will be my master. Grand Master Bob did the same for
> Master BC several years ago. I actually have dug up Master B's old
> Heil Sound Talk Box to look at, but it needs a new hose. Now where is
> a fresh hoser when you need one? Master Michael? :o)

You don't want any abused equipment. ;-)

--
Cheers,
Ben
From: Michael on
Benjamin Goldman wrote:

> Robin Banks wrote:
>
>> Glennbo <vdrumsYourHeadFromYourAss(a)cox.net> tapped the mic and said
>>
>> > In news:Xns9D9E59904A0E0RobinBanksLLC(a)188.40.43.230 the killer robot
>> > Robin Banks <Your(a)email.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
>> > cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...

>> He is >> a former student and disciple of the Legendary Master Bob,
>> as a >> temporary apprentice as required for his various venues.
>> >
>> > Well Heil, have 'em learn ya how to make a "Talk Box"! ;)
>> >
>> > That was the first Heil design I saw at the local music store.
>> >

>> I should be clear that Master BC, not Grand Exulted Poobah of Live
>> Sound Bob Heil, will be my master. Grand Master Bob did the same for
>> Master BC several years ago. I actually have dug up Master B's old
>> Heil Sound Talk Box to look at, but it needs a new hose. Now where is
>> a fresh hoser when you need one? Master Michael? :o)
>
> You don't want any abused equipment. ;-)

Provided Master B's "freshness" requirements for donated equipment don't
exclude self-abuse, perhaps I'm the hoser he oughta be talking to.

Convincing the current user to give it up to a rig pig isn't my department,
however... you'll have to write an absolutely deadly grant proposal without
my help.