From: Samantha Turner on
I'm having a similar problem. Because of compliance rules developed
outside my company, we have implemented a 15 minute time out on the
citrix connections. In reality, the rule states that the user is
required to retype their password in order to regain access to the
application(s) they are running. That's really what I would like to
implement, but our IT staff hasn't found a way to do this yet so we have
the timeout which ends all applications to which they are connected.

What I would really like is.... If a user is connected to a database via
MS Access and Crystal Reports and a 3rd application and they walk away
to get coffee, when they come back to their desk 20 minutes later, I'd
like for them to just be able to type their password and have their
everything where it was when they walked away (similar to the Lock
Computer option on windows). If anyone knows of how to do this, I'd be
very grateful!

Thanks!

From: paii, Ron on

"Samantha Turner" <sturner(a)accessint.com> wrote in message
> I'm having a similar problem. Because of compliance rules developed
> outside my company, we have implemented a 15 minute time out on the
> citrix connections. In reality, the rule states that the user is
> required to retype their password in order to regain access to the
> application(s) they are running. That's really what I would like to
> implement, but our IT staff hasn't found a way to do this yet so we have
> the timeout which ends all applications to which they are connected.
>
> What I would really like is.... If a user is connected to a database via
> MS Access and Crystal Reports and a 3rd application and they walk away
> to get coffee, when they come back to their desk 20 minutes later, I'd
> like for them to just be able to type their password and have their
> everything where it was when they walked away (similar to the Lock
> Computer option on windows). If anyone knows of how to do this, I'd be
> very grateful!
>
> Thanks!

Can you have your IT group change it to Disconnect after 15 min and not
Reset. If they are doing a Reset on time-out, are you having any issues with
corruption?

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Samantha Turner <sturner(a)accessint.com> wrote:

>I'm having a similar problem. Because of compliance rules developed
>outside my company, we have implemented a 15 minute time out on the
>citrix connections. In reality, the rule states that the user is
>required to retype their password in order to regain access to the
>application(s) they are running. That's really what I would like to
>implement, but our IT staff hasn't found a way to do this yet so we have
>the timeout which ends all applications to which they are connected.

Your IT staff can't figure out how the users get back to their apps by rekeying their
password? Umm, that's default behavior unless Citrix changed things there. And
that's a very basic setting so if they can't figure it out either

1) they're lying
2) they're remarkably incompetent.

I administer my Terminal Server remotely. Indeed I've only seen it "in the flesh" so
to speak a few times in the past five or six years. I TS/RDP in, work away and close
the session. Days later I can open up the session and everthing is right where I
left it.

>What I would really like is.... If a user is connected to a database via
>MS Access and Crystal Reports and a 3rd application and they walk away
>to get coffee, when they come back to their desk 20 minutes later, I'd
>like for them to just be able to type their password and have their
>everything where it was when they walked away (similar to the Lock
>Computer option on windows). If anyone knows of how to do this, I'd be
>very grateful!

You can't do this from Access. This is a Citrix/Terminal server setting.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"paii, Ron" <none(a)no.com> wrote:

>If they are doing a Reset on time-out, are you having any issues with
>corruption?

Shuttong down a TS/Citrix session is very unlikely to cause corruptions.

1) after fifteen minutes any batch processing is likely to have finished.

2) I would think that TS/Citrix would send a program shutdown message to the apps
running inside the session which would then gracefully end. Now what might not
happen is your last updates which you haven't completed on the form might not make it
to the data storage.

Tony
From: Samantha Turner on
Thanks for the responses!

I should have mentioned that before we had things set up this way, the
timeout was set up differently and the citrix window with the app icons
would timeout but, when the users came back to their workstations, they
still had access to work in the applications they had already opened.
This conflicts with the rules that we are required to comply with.

I also should have explained about the Access and Crystal better, I
guess. Those are applications that the users have published to them
once they login to Citrix. So, if the user opens these applications,
i.e. connected to a database, and they walk away from their machine for
15 minutes, I need them to have to enter their password in order to
continue working in these applications. I'm even okay with them having
to log back into Citrix and then have the applications right where they
left off, but I can't have the open applications available to them once
the idle timeout has been reached.

Tony, if you can relay to me how I would go about setting this up, I
would be grateful!

Thanks!
Sam