From: za kAT on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:44:09 +0100, Slarty wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 22:45:34 +0200, za kAT wrote:
>
>> If you have a NAT router connecting your LAN to the Internet, then you
>> don't need a PFW at all, let alone THREE of them. I learned that the
>> other day.
>
> +1
>
> It needs saying.

That's wrong, if one computer on the LAN gets infected, PFW's running on
the other machines will mitigate network attacks.

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!
From: za kAT on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:54:57 -0500, Guy wrote:

> JD wrote:
>
>> Hi Experts,
>>
>> I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
>> great for the Internet but it is blocking
>> a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
>> starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
>> its own firewall. I read through the instructions
>> but they give no indication how to poke a hole
>> through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7 and
>> vice-versa.
>>
>> If anyone knows how, please advise.
>>

> Create rules in Kerio to allow the LAN subnet access on
> TCP ports 139 and 445, and UDP ports 137 and 138.

From what I remember Kerio 2.1 has a checkbox to enable all the ports
required.

> By default Windows7 uses "Send NTMLv2 response only"
> for authentication.

That's for domain connected PC's. Workgroup machines have the setting
undefined.

> Review...
>
> Enabling NTLMv2 on Windows Computers Overview
> <http://imss.caltech.edu/cms.php?op=wiki&wiki_op=view&id=394>
>
> LmCompatibilityLevel
> Specifies the mode of authentication and
> session security to be used for network logons.
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc960646.aspx>
>
> How to enable NTLM 2 authentication
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869>

Nice list. Thanks.

From: Dave Doe on
In article <8c1bqgFrm9U1(a)mid.individual.net>, JD(a)No-where.con says...

> Hi Experts,
>
> I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
> great for the Internet but it is blocking
> a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
> starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
> its own firewall. I read through the instructions
> but they give no indication how to poke a hole
> through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7 and
> vice-versa.
>
> If anyone knows how, please advise.

It's a PITA adding to your LAN *after* many s/w firewalls are in place.
I often find it easiest to just remove the firewall s/w - get the LAN
operational - and then re-install (upon re-install it will/should "go
around" your LAN, as the s/w firewall will now "see" it).

--
Duncan.
From: JD on
The Seabat wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 19:54:31 -0700, JD <JD(a)No-where.con> wrote:
>
>>> Hi Experts,
>>>
>>> I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
>>> great for the Internet but it is blocking
>>> a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
>>> starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
>>> its own firewall. I read through the instructions
>>> but they give no indication how to poke a hole
>>> through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7 and
>>> vice-versa.
>>>
>>> If anyone knows how, please advise.
>>>
>>> TIA
>

> http://web.archive.org/web/20020201203553/http://www.tpffaq.com/cgi-bin/faqmanager.cgi
> {Kerio used to be Tiny Personal Firewall}
>
> http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=i&cat=2&S=decedd5594a997566e85972d944c5ca3

Huge thanks guys for your interest and support and my apologies for
being late for the party ;-)
The router is a D-Link EBR-2310 and it is connected to a D-Link
ADSL-2320B. Both Win2K and Win-7 can see the Internet. The Win7 is on a
NetBook and the firewall was easy to deal with. The Win2K machine has a
2.1 v Kerio and, if I shut it down, both computers can see one another.
I looked at the very sparse instructions and found no info on opening up
the firewall. I need to do some more reading from your posts. Thanks again.
From: JD on
Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <8c1bqgFrm9U1(a)mid.individual.net>, JD(a)No-where.con says...
>> Hi Experts,
>>
>> I have a Kerio 2.1 Personal Firewall that works
>> great for the Internet but it is blocking
>> a local LAN connecting a Win2K desktop and a Win7
>> starter Netbook. Win2K has the Kerio and Win 7 has
>> its own firewall. I read through the instructions
>> but they give no indication how to poke a hole
>> through the firewall to let Win2K see Win 7 and
>> vice-versa.
>>
>> If anyone knows how, please advise.
>
> It's a PITA adding to your LAN *after* many s/w firewalls are in place.
> I often find it easiest to just remove the firewall s/w - get the LAN
> operational - and then re-install (upon re-install it will/should "go
> around" your LAN, as the s/w firewall will now "see" it).

Thanks DD.

I disconnected the Internet connection and dropped the Kerio firewall.
Then I was then able to see the shares from both computers but,
curiously, I could not access the Win7 share on win2k and had no problem
otherwise. I have 2 admins, with different names, on each computer so
both computers have the same users with the same rights. I'm still
learning or trying to.