From: Murat D. Kadirov on
On 02.08.2010 04:38, Lew Pitcher wrote:
> On August 1, 2010 18:34, in alt.os.linux.slackware, luck(a)dasteem.invalid
> wrote:
>

>> Anybody know of a list of kernel boot parameters?
>>
>> I'm not talking kernel programmer level stuff, just "interesting\useful
>> things you could do with your boot options" things.
>>
>> ie: How to disable ntfs drivers, how to disable raid probing, etc.
>
> Take a look at
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernal-parameters.txt
>
> <quote>
> Kernel Parameters
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> The following is a consolidated list of the kernel parameters as implemented
> (mostly) by the __setup() macro and sorted into English Dictionary order
> (defined as ignoring all punctuation and sorting digits before letters in a
> case insensitive manner), and with descriptions where known.
> </quote>

It is also available into 'man bootparam'. But information from it
slightly outdated.

--
Murat D. Kadirov
PGP fingerprint: 3081 EBFA 5CB9 BD24 4DB6 76EE 1B97 0A0E CEC0 6AA0
From: Grant on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:48:15 +0600, "Murat D. Kadirov" <banderols(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 02.08.2010 04:38, Lew Pitcher wrote:
>> On August 1, 2010 18:34, in alt.os.linux.slackware, luck(a)dasteem.invalid
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Anybody know of a list of kernel boot parameters?
>>>
>>> I'm not talking kernel programmer level stuff, just "interesting\useful
>>> things you could do with your boot options" things.
>>>
>>> ie: How to disable ntfs drivers, how to disable raid probing, etc.
>>
>> Take a look at
>> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernal-parameters.txt
>>
>> <quote>
>> Kernel Parameters
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> The following is a consolidated list of the kernel parameters as implemented
>> (mostly) by the __setup() macro and sorted into English Dictionary order
>> (defined as ignoring all punctuation and sorting digits before letters in a
>> case insensitive manner), and with descriptions where known.
>> </quote>
>>

>It is also available into 'man bootparam'. But information from it
>slightly outdated.

You might try:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages

Actively maintained.

Grant.
From: Murat D. Kadirov on
On 02.08.2010 13:13, Grant wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:48:15 +0600, "Murat D. Kadirov" <banderols(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02.08.2010 04:38, Lew Pitcher wrote:

>>> Take a look at
>>> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernal-parameters.txt
>>>
>>> <quote>
>>> Kernel Parameters
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> The following is a consolidated list of the kernel parameters as implemented
>>> (mostly) by the __setup() macro and sorted into English Dictionary order
>>> (defined as ignoring all punctuation and sorting digits before letters in a
>>> case insensitive manner), and with descriptions where known.
>>> </quote>
>>>

>> It is also available into 'man bootparam'. But information from it
>> slightly outdated.
>
> You might try:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages
>
> Actively maintained.
>
> Grant.

Both man pages for bootparam, latest 3.25 and slackware stock 3.24 are
equivalence and dated 2007-12-16

From: Grant on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 13:49:46 +0600, "Murat D. Kadirov" <banderols(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 02.08.2010 13:13, Grant wrote:

>>> It is also available into 'man bootparam'. But information from it
>>> slightly outdated.
>>
>> You might try:
>>
>> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages
>>
>> Actively maintained.
>>
>> Grant.
>
>Both man pages for bootparam, latest 3.25 and slackware stock 3.24 are
>equivalence and dated 2007-12-16

Hmm, must be the new definition of 'active' for Linux documentation :)

Grant.
From: root on
Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

> You might try:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/man-pages
>
> Actively maintained.
>
> Grant.

It is often a problem for me to find where a given
parameter is set. I was hoping these man pages would
help, but no. For example I tried:
man acpi
man ACPI
and got no man page response.

If I want to enable a given parameter, what is the
best way to step through
man menuconfig?