From: Additya on
This tutorial will show you how to get the pressed key in the browser
window, whether it's Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Page Up, Arrow Up or any other
key. There's both an Internet Explorer and a Firefox way of doing
this.

http://www.ezdia.com/Key_Codes_for_some_keyboard_buttons/Content.do?id=782

There are several reasons why you may want to capture the key press
event in a browser window. Perhaps you're making a JavaScript game, or
a map similar to Google Maps and you want to allow navigation through
the arrow keys. Getting the pressed key is easy in JavaScript, however
different browsers use different ways for this
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Additya wrote:

> This tutorial will show you how to get the pressed key in the browser
> window, whether it's Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Page Up, Arrow Up or any other
> key. There's both an Internet Explorer and a Firefox way of doing
> this.

http://www.ezdia.com/Key_Codes_for_some_keyboard_buttons/Content.do?id=782

Utter nonsense. Ctrl, Alt, and Shift are detected with the ctrlKey,
altKey, and shiftKey event properties respectively, `keyCode' is not
reliable, proprietary event-handler properties are used, Opera or WebKit
are not considered at all, proprietary control referencing is used, and the
markup is invalid XHTML or HTML. Oh yes, and code written 2005(!) to
handle "Internet Explorer and Firefox" is very relevant today, isn't it?

Of course, none of the half-wits replying there could have possibly
recognized any of that, only that it would be "working well" (it doesn't)
or that it "(still) does not work" (of course it doesn't). Blind leading
the blind.

For getting a good idea and rather up-to-date information on how hard it
really is to handle keyboard events cross-DOM/cross-browser, read
<http://unixpapa.com/js/key.html> instead.

PointedEars
will want to steal it.)
From: David Mark on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

[...]

> For getting a good idea and rather up-to-date information on how hard it
> really is to handle keyboard events cross-DOM/cross-browser, read
> <http://unixpapa.com/js/key.html> instead.

I haven't read the article, but I can tell you it isn't hard to do
cross-browser keyboard monitoring. I had never had a call for it until
recently and was pleasantly surprised at how trivial it turned out to
be. Yes, that script will likely end up in My Library as
attachKeyboardListeners (or something like that). It is already part of
the upcoming sequel.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> For getting a good idea and rather up-to-date information on how hard it
>> really is to handle keyboard events cross-DOM/cross-browser, read
>> <http://unixpapa.com/js/key.html> instead.
>
> I haven't read the article,

You should.

> but I can tell you it isn't hard to do cross-browser keyboard monitoring.

I don't think you are already in a position to make that assessment.

> I had never had a call for it until recently and was pleasantly surprised
> at how trivial it turned out to be. Yes, that script will likely end up
> in My Library as attachKeyboardListeners (or something like that). It is
> already part of the upcoming sequel.

I'd be positively surprised if it did as advertised.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: David Mark on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> For getting a good idea and rather up-to-date information on how hard it
>>> really is to handle keyboard events cross-DOM/cross-browser, read
>>> <http://unixpapa.com/js/key.html> instead.
>> I haven't read the article,
>
> You should.

Why? I don't need help with it. :)

>> but I can tell you it isn't hard to do cross-browser keyboard monitoring.
>
> I don't think you are already in a position to make that assessment.

How would you know?

>> I had never had a call for it until recently and was pleasantly surprised
>> at how trivial it turned out to be. Yes, that script will likely end up
>> in My Library as attachKeyboardListeners (or something like that). It is
>> already part of the upcoming sequel.
>
> I'd be positively surprised if it did as advertised.

What did I advertise and have I ever failed to surprise?