From: Bob Williams on
LCD Monitors are getting so cheap now, that even I can afford one.
The BIG question is, can you get inkjet prints that are pretty close to
the colors you see on the monitor screen?
It is hard enough to do this with a CRT Monitor.
Does an LCD monitor add another layer of complexity to the process?
Has anyone tried the new LED illuminated LCD Monitors?
Are they easier to calibrate than the regular LCD monitors?
Bob Williams
From: Mike Russell on
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 01:29:58 -0800, Bob Williams wrote:

> LCD Monitors are getting so cheap now, that even I can afford one.
> The BIG question is, can you get inkjet prints that are pretty close to
> the colors you see on the monitor screen?
> It is hard enough to do this with a CRT Monitor.
> Does an LCD monitor add another layer of complexity to the process?
> Has anyone tried the new LED illuminated LCD Monitors?
> Are they easier to calibrate than the regular LCD monitors?
> Bob Williams

After decades of excellent service, the good ship CRT has sailed. The vast
majority of PS users now use an LCD display. LED monitors do give a
warmer, softer light, and save more power than the older LCD technology.

IMHO, among mid-priced monitors, both LCD technologies can be made to match
the printout almost, not quite, as well as a CRT, which is to say close
enough for government work, but not a perfect match. Expensive LCDs - ones
in the $1000 range, are as good or better than CRTs.

Here's a web page that offers an interesting test of various LCD and CRT
display characteristics. I have to say I was surprised, and made some
adjustments to one of my LCD monitors as a result of running through these
tests:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
--
Mike Russell - http://www.curvemeister.com
From: Bob Williams on
Bob Williams wrote:
> LCD Monitors are getting so cheap now, that even I can afford one.
> The BIG question is, can you get inkjet prints that are pretty close to
> the colors you see on the monitor screen?
> It is hard enough to do this with a CRT Monitor.
> Does an LCD monitor add another layer of complexity to the process?
> Has anyone tried the new LED illuminated LCD Monitors?
> Are they easier to calibrate than the regular LCD monitors?
> Bob Williams

Thanks to both of you for your comments.
Maybe I'll treat myself to a 24" LCD Monitor for Xmas.
Bob