From: DBLWizard on
Howdy All,

I am trying to use LDIFDE to copy a section of AD from one Forest to
another. This is for testing purposes and I have the export and import
commands working fine when it is with in the same forest, but is there
a way to do it without using some text program (notepad) to substitue
for the DN? I want to script this from end to end and was wondering if
there was something I was overlooking.

Thanks

dbl

From: David Denmark on
DBLWizard wrote:

> I am trying to use LDIFDE to copy a section of AD from one Forest to
> another. This is for testing purposes and I have the export and
> import commands working fine when it is with in the same forest, but
> is there a way to do it without using some text program (notepad) to
> substitue for the DN? I want to script this from end to end and was
> wondering if there was something I was overlooking.

Hello DBLWizard,

If you don't mind looking at third-party tools, we have a powerful visual
scripting tool for Active Directory that will let you do this export &
import in a matter of minutes. It's called the User Management Resource
Administrator. You can create a project file that will go out to Forest A
and dump all OUs, users, groups, and their associated placement &
configuration to a CSV file (or database, whichever you prefer; CSV file is
easiest). Then you can take that exported information and configure another
project to go out to Forest B and import that information in their respected
locations. You do not need to worry about formatting the LDAP information as
you do with LDIFDE, the UMRA takes care of all that for you. We just need
the object type (group, user, OU) and it's associated properties (name,
location) to re-create an identical object inside another domain.

If you would like more information, feel free to send an e-mail to either
support -a t- advtoolware -dot - com or sales - at- advtoolware - dot- com.

Thanks,

Dave Denmark
Advanced Toolware
Phone: 1-888-770-4242 Ext. 108
Phone: (253) 770-4823
Fax: (253) 435-4966
Email: ddenmark(a)advtoolware.com
http://www.AdvToolware.com

--- TOOLS FOR WIN 2003/2000/NT/XP ---
* Network and Event Log Monitoring
* Server and Domain Management
* User Account Management
* Disk Quota Management

From: Brian Desmond [MVP] on
There is a command line switch to do the substitution e.g.

ldifde -i -f myldiffile.ldf -c "dc=old,dc=com" "dc=new,dc=net"

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com