From: Dave on
Hi all, having trouble adding a smtp mail address to a user via AD installed
on my PC.
This returns an error.

The RPC server is unavailable
Facility: Win32
ID no:c00706ba
Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension

If I log on to the server via terminal services it works ok and I can add
addresses directly.

Any ideas why it fails from my machine?

Thanks in advance

Dave

From: "Mike Shepperd" newsgroups a t sunfiresolutions d o t on
If my understanding is correct, you're using the Admin Tools on your PC
(Windows XP?) to modify the User Account properties in Active Directory
Users and Computers. When trying to modify the SMTP address of a user in
their Exchange Properties you're seeing the RPC error.

Is Exchange running on the DC (maybe an SBS machine)? If so, I would guess
that there is some file that is registered on the DC that doesn't exist on
your PC (and may not work on a non-server product).

Do the DC and PC both point to the same DNS server? In my experience, most
RPC error messages are caused by name resolution issues, though that isn't
at the top of my list for this issue, it is worth eliminating as a
possibility. If the DC and Exch server are separate boxes, make sure that
every machine is using the same DNS server.

--
Mike Shepperd
Sunfire Solutions LLC

[This posting is provided AS-IS, with no warranties and confers no rights]

From: Dave on
Hi, Thanks for responding.

Yes you are correct wth your assumptions, Running Xp sp2 on my PC and win
2000 server, and exchange 2000. We do use the same dns on all machines but
the order may be different, Ie, primary on my machine is secondary on the
server. etc

Would that make any difference?
All other aspects work fine and this is only a minor niggle but you know how
it is... :)

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Regards

Dave

From: "Mike Shepperd" newsgroups a t sunfiresolutions d o t on
As long as the DNS servers are both internal (not one internal and one at
the ISP - should only use internal servers) it shouldn't make any
difference. If for some reason two internal DNS servers are not properly
replicating records, you could end up with one serving up some addresses and
the other serving up different ones, but it's not very likely.

I don't have a similar setup to test on, but I would guess it's related to
the server having Exchange installed locally and the PC not. You could use
filemon (from Sysinternals, now part of Microsoft) to track what files are
accessed on the Server and on the Workstation, then see what files aren't
found on the Wkstn. I'm guessing it's some .dll or similar file that
installs with Exchange...