From: Glenn Ashmore on
I want toadd a set of gauges to my fuel management system. It will require
one for each tank and 3 standard gauges take up to much room and cost a
bunch so I am going to DIY it. Follow me through on this:

The sender is a variable resistor with a range of 240 Ohms empty to 33 Ohms
full. If I put a 240 ohm resistor in series with the sender, feed it 3.3V
and measure the voltage across the 240 Ohm resistor I will get a voltage
from 1.65V empty to 2.9V full. That is a range of 1.25V in a more or less
logarithmic curve. If I feed this voltage to an LM3915 LED driver I can
display the tank levels on a 10 segment LED array.

There is only one problem. How do I set the zero to 1.65V?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

From: petrus bitbyter on

"Glenn Ashmore" <gashmore(a)cox.net> schreef in bericht
>I want toadd a set of gauges to my fuel management system. It will require
> one for each tank and 3 standard gauges take up to much room and cost a
> bunch so I am going to DIY it. Follow me through on this:
>
> The sender is a variable resistor with a range of 240 Ohms empty to 33
> Ohms
> full. If I put a 240 ohm resistor in series with the sender, feed it 3.3V
> and measure the voltage across the 240 Ohm resistor I will get a voltage
> from 1.65V empty to 2.9V full. That is a range of 1.25V in a more or less
> logarithmic curve. If I feed this voltage to an LM3915 LED driver I can
> display the tank levels on a 10 segment LED array.
>
> There is only one problem. How do I set the zero to 1.65V?
>
> --
> Glenn Ashmore
>
> I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack
> there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com
> Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com

Use an opamp to subtract the 1.65V. An old CA3140 will do.

VCC
+

+-+-------+----------------+
| | |
.-. .-. | ___1k
| |33- | |10k +-----|___|-+
| |240 | | | | |
'-' '-' | | |
| | 1k ___ | |\| |
| +-----|___|--+-|-\ | out
+----------------------|+/ CA3140
| | |/|
| | |
.-. .-. |
| |240 | |10k |
| | | | |
'-' '-' |
| | |
++-------+----------------+

===
GND
created by Andyýs ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de

If your environment is noisy you can reduce the 10k resistors and/or put an
elco 1-10uF parallel to the lower 10k. You can make a zero adjust with a
100-220 Ohm trimpot between the two 10k resistors, its tab to the 1k input
resistor of the opamp.

petrus bitbyter

From: Glenn Ashmore on
Thanks. That should work and not be effected by minor supply voltage
variations.

--

"petrus bitbyter" <p.kralt(a)reducespamforchello.nl> wrote in message

> "Glenn Ashmore" <gashmore(a)cox.net> schreef in bericht
> >I want toadd a set of gauges to my fuel management system. It will
require
> > one for each tank and 3 standard gauges take up to much room and cost a
> > bunch so I am going to DIY it. Follow me through on this:
> >
> > The sender is a variable resistor with a range of 240 Ohms empty to 33
> > Ohms
> > full. If I put a 240 ohm resistor in series with the sender, feed it
3.3V
> > and measure the voltage across the 240 Ohm resistor I will get a voltage
> > from 1.65V empty to 2.9V full. That is a range of 1.25V in a more or
less
> > logarithmic curve. If I feed this voltage to an LM3915 LED driver I can
> > display the tank levels on a 10 segment LED array.
> >
> > There is only one problem. How do I set the zero to 1.65V?
> >
> > --
> > Glenn Ashmore
> >
> > I'm building a 45' cutter in strip/composite. Watch my progress (or lack
> > there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com
> > Shameless Commercial Division: http://www.spade-anchor-us.com
> >

> Use an opamp to subtract the 1.65V. An old CA3140 will do.
>
> VCC
> +
> |
> +-+-------+----------------+
> | | |
> .-. .-. | ___1k
> | |33- | |10k +-----|___|-+
> | |240 | | | | |
> '-' '-' | | |
> | | 1k ___ | |\| |
> | +-----|___|--+-|-\ | out
> +----------------------|+/ CA3140
> | | |/|
> | | |
> .-. .-. |
> | |240 | |10k |
> | | | | |
> '-' '-' |
> | | |
> ++-------+----------------+
> |
> ===
> GND
> created by Andyýs ASCII-Circuit v1.24.140803 Beta www.tech-chat.de
>
> If your environment is noisy you can reduce the 10k resistors and/or put
an
> elco 1-10uF parallel to the lower 10k. You can make a zero adjust with a
> 100-220 Ohm trimpot between the two 10k resistors, its tab to the 1k input
> resistor of the opamp.
>
> petrus bitbyter

Pages: 1
Next: center tapped transformer