From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article <7n7n1cF3l0qjhU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Steve Lionel
<steve.lionel(a)intel.invalid> writes:

Nice to see that you still hang out here, Steve.

> All VMS languages were pretty much required to have some syntax for
> specifying the passing mechanism. The spellings shown here were used
> for VAX FORTRAN, but as Tim says, other languages had their own syntax,
> which was not always something that looked like a function call
> (ignoring the percent). VAX PASCAL, for example, used attributes in
> square brackets, if I recall correctly.
>
> It was a wonderful thing - an operating system designed from the start
> to have a rich multi-language environment and a single set of calling
> conventions. I've never seen such a thing since.

Please don't use the past tense! I'm still using VMS at home and at
work.

It would be nice if there were a Fortran compiler for VMS which supports
the new standard. Not that I personally need many of the features, but
I could compile newer code and of course in general it is sad the
Fortran on VMS is now taking a back seat, whereas for many years it was
the gold standard.

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Phillip Helbig---undress to reply <helbig(a)astro.multiclothesvax.de> wrote:
(snip on VMS and calling convention)

> Please don't use the past tense! I'm still using VMS at home and at
> work.

I agree. When discussing computer architectures and most software,
present tense makes sense to me. The architecture still exists even
if no instances (machines) exist, though usually there will still
be at least one. There are still plenty of VMS machines, including VAX,
running.

> It would be nice if there were a Fortran compiler for VMS which supports
> the new standard. Not that I personally need many of the features, but
> I could compile newer code and of course in general it is sad the
> Fortran on VMS is now taking a back seat, whereas for many years it was
> the gold standard.

I believe VAX/VMS stopped at Fortran 77, but that Fortran 95
compilers exist for Alpha/VMS, and I believe also Itanium/VMS.
I don't know at all about Fortran 2003 compilers for those systems.

-- glen
From: dpb on
robin wrote:
> "dpb" <none(a)non.net> wrote in message news:hemslc$hkk$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
>
> | I really was wondering about the insistence on an argument of VAX vis a
> | vis VMS -- it seems to me moot as one didn't exist w/o the other and VMS
> | simply came at a time the various languages already existed in a place
> | where folks recognized there was a need/market/opportunity to support
> | them all and had a new product to incorporate that support into.
>
> "Various languages" existed from the 1950s, and continued
> to exist though the 1960s -- including the time when the IBM S/360 was designed
> and built.

Well, DOH...

From: frank on
On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:01:44 -0600, dpb wrote:

> Well, DOH...

I think you may not know what this word means. We all remember "duh."
"DOH" has its origins from the Simpson's and is said by the world's least
curious man when his simple machinations blow up in his face. Though
they might both be interjections, they wouldn't be used in the same
situations.
--
frank

"Guns: yes, they are harmful."
From: Phillip Helbig---undress to reply on
In article <heppak$ktd$1(a)naig.caltech.edu>, glen herrmannsfeldt
<gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

> I believe VAX/VMS stopped at Fortran 77,

Right. (It did have many extensions, though, which were incorporated
into Fortran 90.)

> but that Fortran 95
> compilers exist for Alpha/VMS, and I believe also Itanium/VMS.

Right.

> I don't know at all about Fortran 2003 compilers for those systems.

I don't think there is one on ANY VMS platform.