From: T on
I will shortly complete my MCSA and would now like to learn more about Linux
as I believe this is the future. I would like to study for the LPIC-1 which
I understand also gets me a Novell certification as well.
Can anyone recommend some good self study guides? I prefer self study
primarily due to the cost of courses here in London (for the MCSA at least!)
and self study has always worked for me.
Thanks

From: Auric__ on
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:51:43 GMT, T wrote:

> I will shortly complete my MCSA and would now like to learn more about
> Linux as I believe this is the future. I would like to study for the
> LPIC-1 which I understand also gets me a Novell certification as well.
> Can anyone recommend some good self study guides? I prefer self study
> primarily due to the cost of courses here in London (for the MCSA at
> least!) and self study has always worked for me.

I suggest that before you try to get any certification(s), you take some time
to actually learn the OS. Install it, on a second computer if you don't want
it on your main machine, and try using it for a while.

But if you're determined, the Wikipedia page has links to some study
materials:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPIC#Learning_Materials

--
As wicked as you are, you're beautiful to me.
From: Aragorn on
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 19:51 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
T wrote...

> I will shortly complete my MCSA and would now like to learn more about
> Linux as I believe this is the future.

More like the past, the present and the future all combined. ;-)
GNU/Linux is a UNIX-type operating system and the UNIX architecture has
always played a dominant role in the IT landscape due to its
flexibility, stability, robustness, security, versatility and
portability.

The only place really where Microsoft has a stronghold of the market -
through unfair business tactics - e.g. forced bundle sales of hardware
and operating system with most of computer manufacturers, monopolism
through vendor lock-in, active overt and covert smearing of what they
construe as "the competition", et al - on the x86 platform, and to a
lesser extent on the smaller handheld devices, e.g. smartphones,
palmtops and tablet PCs. And as strong as their hold of this market
segment is, they've never had anything that could really live up to the
needs and expectations of the server, cluster and scientific
workstation sector, where UNIX simply excels. ;-)

> I would like to study for the LPIC-1 which I understand also gets me a
> Novell certification as well.

I'm not too familiar with that qualification, but I do know that RedHat
has a similar program.

> Can anyone recommend some good self study guides? I prefer self study
> primarily due to the cost of courses here in London (for the MCSA at
> least!) and self study has always worked for me.

Well, the best advice I can give you would be what the poster known as
Auric__ also advised you, i.e. to install the system and familiarize
yourself with it. But one other thing I can advise you to read - and
it's a _long_ read, but very informative - is the RUTE, which you will
find on the link below. If it would be too expensive for you to study
this document online - e.g. if you're on dialup - then you can always
save it to your hard disk.

http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: J.O. Aho on
Aragorn wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 June 2010 19:51 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
> T wrote...

> The only place really where Microsoft has a stronghold of the market -
> through unfair business tactics - e.g. forced bundle sales of hardware
> and operating system with most of computer manufacturers, monopolism
> through vendor lock-in, active overt and covert smearing of what they
> construe as "the competition", et al - on the x86 platform, and to a
> lesser extent on the smaller handheld devices, e.g. smartphones,
> palmtops and tablet PCs. And as strong as their hold of this market
> segment is, they've never had anything that could really live up to the
> needs and expectations of the server, cluster and scientific
> workstation sector, where UNIX simply excels. ;-)

I have to say that you missed a quite important reason why some choose to use
MS-Windows as the server infrastructure OS, for they have it on their desktop
(I'm surprised many of our customers uses this as they way to select the OS).

>> I would like to study for the LPIC-1 which I understand also gets me a
>> Novell certification as well.
>
> I'm not too familiar with that qualification, but I do know that RedHat
> has a similar program.

I recently read that Novell may be dropping it's Linux (sadly lost the link),
so it may be better to take a RedHat base certification or a generic Linux
certification.

--

//Aho
From: habibielwa7id on
On Jun 2, 8:51 pm, "T" <spamt...(a)spambouncer.org> wrote:
> I will shortly complete my MCSA and would now like to learn more about Linux
> as I believe this is the future.  I would like to study for the LPIC-1 which
> I understand also gets me a Novell certification as well.
> Can anyone recommend some good self study guides?  I prefer self study
> primarily due to the cost of courses here in London (for the MCSA at least!)
> and self study has always worked for me.
> Thanks

Take my advice and go RedHat way, RHCE is really trusted as it is a
performance based exam"Practical Lab Exam", But it needs more training
and studying, Specially the new shape of the exam, A script is to be
run at the end of the exam and evaluate your exam and it isn't
evaluated by an examiner like before and this what made the scenario
worse, Some people scored zero on the exam because they miss-
configured the firewall for example, I know you didn't ask about
details like this but I liked to talk may anybody will take the exam
soon and this benefits him.
I am certified LPI level 1 since FEB 2005.
Though to take LPI level 2 and 3 but most of people advised me to go
RedHat way as it's more trusted on the Enterprise markets as the best
Linux certificate.
And yes I got the Novels CLA last month as there a new partnership
between them and LPI and as a good outcome I got CLA without taking
the exam or pay anything.
I will take RHCE exam on Enterprise 5.4 on 24 this month, Wish me the
good luck
Wish to complete to be an RHCA afterwords.
About good materials for LPI. There is a good book from orreilly
And also IBM made free good tutorials for LPI you can browse it on-
line
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596005283

Regards,