From: Jerome Robertson on
Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult
to work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since.
The computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but
you don't have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help.
I've posted on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one
there can help (so far).
From: J G Miller on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 23:08:10 -0400, Jerome Robertson wrote:

> And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since.

You need to do some tests. Can you ssh into the machine?

If not, then you will need to get out your Live DVD
and go into recovery mode.

First of all you need to check to see if the kernel is seeing
the keyboard and mouse, which you do with dmesg.

For example --

dmesg | egrep keyb

[ 1.221108] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3

dmesg | egrep mouse

[ 0.985525] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input2
[ 1.202275] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
[ 10.274055] psmouse serio1: ID: 10 00 28

If you see appropriate entries there, then all is well with the
hardware and the kernel seeing the hardware.

Then the real problem I suspect is your X11 server configuration.

You need to have a look at the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log
to see if the X11 server is finding the input devices

For example --

egrep keyb /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard

egrep mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation

As Mint Linux 9 does not have hal, you should not see mention of hal
in any output lines in the Xorg.0.log.

If there are no entries as I suspect, you need to examine Xorg.0.log
with a pager eg less to find error messages as to why it is not finding
the input devices.
From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
Jerome Robertson wrote:
> Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
> using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult
> to work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since.
> The computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but you
> don't have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help. I've
> posted on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one there
> can help (so far).
Describe the machine

ps2 or usb human interfaces ?
From: unruh on
On 2010-06-02, Jerome Robertson <consimgamer(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> Running LinuxMint Isadora. It was installed and running fine. I was
> using VMWare and was getting two cursors, making it a little difficult
> to work. So I re-booted. And I have not had a mouse or keyboard since.
> The computer boots just like it always did, nothing looks wrong but
> you don't have a mouse or keyboard. I'm hoping someone here can help.
> I've posted on linuxquestions.org and the LinuxMint forums and no one
> there can help (so far).

A) Make sure that you boot into single user mode. I donot know LinuxMint
so do not know what their runlevels are, but in the Redhat children
boot into runlevel 3. See if you get keyboard input there in the
console.
Then run startx 2>/tmp/X
If again you loose the keyboard, reboot again into runlevel 3 and read
the output in /tmp/X and see if it complains about keyboard/mouse and
gives you hints about the possible problems.

From: Jerome Robertson on
J G Miller wrote:

> For example --
>
> dmesg | egrep keyb
>
> [ 1.221108] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3
>
> dmesg | egrep mouse
>
> [ 0.985525] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input2
> [ 1.202275] mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> [ 10.274055] psmouse serio1: ID: 10 00 28
>
> If you see appropriate entries there, then all is well with the
> hardware and the kernel seeing the hardware.
>
> Then the real problem I suspect is your X11 server configuration.
>
> You need to have a look at the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> to see if the X11 server is finding the input devices
>
> For example --
>
> egrep keyb /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
>
> egrep mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> (II) LoadModule: "mouse"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
> (II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
> (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (II) config/hal: Adding input device Macintosh mouse button emulation
>
> As Mint Linux 9 does not have hal, you should not see mention of hal
> in any output lines in the Xorg.0.log.
>
> If there are no entries as I suspect, you need to examine Xorg.0.log
> with a pager eg less to find error messages as to why it is not finding
> the input devices.
Thank you very much! Your advice was most helpful and gave me enough
information so that I could google for the more. For starters, my
/var/log/Xorg.0.log returned:
Cannot locate a core pointer device
Cannot locate a keyboard device
The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices

I found by googling that I needed to add these lines to my xorg.conf:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
EndSection

So I did and re-booted the machine. It booted fine and I now have a
mouse...but no keyboard. What should I do next?