From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 at 21:21:17h -0400, Jerome Robertson explained:

> For starters, my /var/log/Xorg.0.log returned:

So you can confirm that dmesg does indicate that the kernel
is finding both the keyboard and the mouse?

> Cannot locate a core pointer device
> Cannot locate a keyboard device
> The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices

Two questions then

1) Which GNU/Linux distribution and version are you using?
This is important because the latest versions of some
distributions are no longer using HAL.

2) Can you check that hald is running with

ps -adef | egrep hald

which should show some lines including something like

107 8940 1 0 14:23 ? 00:00:00 hald --daemon=yes

> I found by googling that I needed to add these lines to my xorg.conf:
> Section "ServerFlags"
> Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
> EndSection

It is rather strange that you need to force this server flag parameter
to off since it should not normally be turned on.

If it is turned on, this is what, or something similar depending on the
type of keyboard and mouse you have, you would see in the Xorg.0.log

(WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
(WW) Disabling Keyboard0
(WW) Disabling USB_MOUSE

> So I did and re-booted the machine. It booted fine and I now have a
> mouse...but no keyboard.

You could try forcing the xorg server to use the keyboard and mouse with
entries in xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
EndSection

You can give the Identifier parameter a description specific to your
hardware models, but then you would need to include these as the
ServerLayout section InputDevice parameter strings as well.
From: Jerome Robertson on
J G Miller wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 at 21:21:17h -0400, Jerome Robertson explained:
>
>> For starters, my /var/log/Xorg.0.log returned:
>
> So you can confirm that dmesg does indicate that the kernel
> is finding both the keyboard and the mouse?

Yes, dmesg returns that message from your first post,
/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3 for keyboard,
.../serio1/input/input5 for mouse

>> Cannot locate a core pointer device
>> Cannot locate a keyboard device
>> The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices
>
> Two questions then
>
> 1) Which GNU/Linux distribution and version are you using?
> This is important because the latest versions of some
> distributions are no longer using HAL.
>
> 2) Can you check that hald is running with
>
> ps -adef | egrep hald

hald is not running, all I get from this command is the command itself.

> You could try forcing the xorg server to use the keyboard and mouse with
> entries in xorg.conf
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard"
> Driver "kbd"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse"
> Driver "mouse"
> EndSection
>
> You can give the Identifier parameter a description specific to your
> hardware models, but then you would need to include these as the
> ServerLayout section InputDevice parameter strings as well.

I added the above to xorg.conf and re-booted and there was no change:
have mouse, don't have keyboard.
From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 at 23:23:22h -0400, Jerome Robertson wrote:

>> 1) Which GNU/Linux distribution and version are you using?
>> This is important because the latest versions of some distributions
>> are no longer using HAL.

You did not answer this question.

> hald is not running, all I get from this command is the command itself.

But is hald available on your machine?

> I added the above to xorg.conf and re-booted and there was no change:
> have mouse, don't have keyboard.

And what were the relevant messages in Xorg.0.log?

PS the clock on the machine from which you are posting is incorrectly set.
You posted this on Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, but the date on the post
says Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010.

From: Jerome Robertson on
J G Miller wrote:

>>> 1) Which GNU/Linux distribution and version are you using?
>>> This is important because the latest versions of some distributions
>>> are no longer using HAL.
>
> You did not answer this question.

Sorry. uname returns: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic #35 Ubuntu SMP

>> hald is not running, all I get from this command is the command itself.
>
> But is hald available on your machine?

How would I find this out?

>> I added the above to xorg.conf and re-booted and there was no change:
>> have mouse, don't have keyboard.
>
> And what were the relevant messages in Xorg.0.log?

for egrep keyb /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
(==)No layout section. Using the first keyboard device.

for egrep mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
(==)No layout section. Using the first mouse device.
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
(II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
(==) intel(0):Silken mouse enabled
(II) Mouse: Setting mouseprotocol to "ExplorerPS/2"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"

> PS the clock on the machine from which you are posting is incorrectly set.
> You posted this on Thursday, June 3rd, 2010, but the date on the post
> says Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010.

This is my Windows laptop, I don't use it much.
From: J G Miller on
On Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 at 02:51:47h -0400, Jerome Robertson wrote:

> Sorry. uname returns: Linux 2.6.32-22-generic #35 Ubuntu SMP

cat /etc/lsb-release

would probably be more informative.

From the kernel version, I suspect you are using Ubuntu Lucid 10.4

> How would I find this out?

Well you could look in the obvious place with

ls -als /usr/sbin/hald

Or if you were not sure where that was, with

dpkg -S hald

But if you are indeed running Ubuntu Lucid 10.4, you will not find it.

From <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/TechnicalOverview>

QUOTE

HAL removal

This release fully removes HAL from the boot process,
making Ubuntu faster to boot and faster to resume from suspend.

UNQUOTE

> for egrep keyb /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
> (==)No layout section. Using the first keyboard device.

Perhaps you do need a ServerLayout section at the very end of the xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Xorg X11 Server"
InputDevice "Keyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse"
Screen "Default Screen"
EndSection

Note that you must use exactly the same identifier name in the ServerLayout
that you used for the InputDevice identifiers in the sections for keyboard
and mouse.

> This is my Windows laptop, I don't use it much.

But you are posting to a public newsgroup so it is your responsibility
to ensure that you are not posting with bogus dates and times as a
courtesy to the readers of that news group.

It is a bit like saying to the police officer when being pulled
over for a faulty light, that well, yes it is broken but you do
not use the car much.

Does it really require that much effort on a Windoze laptop to
set the time correctly with the synchronize time to time server
graphical user interface?
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: dnsmasq sanity check?