From: glird on

It is said that the Lorentz Transformation Equations (LTE) have been
experimentally confirmed by many different experiments. I would
appreciate it if someone would provide a list of all the experiments
that did so.

glird
From: dlzc on
Dear glird:

On Jul 16, 11:53 am, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>   It is said that the Lorentz Transformation
> Equations (LTE) have been experimentally
> confirmed by many different experiments. I
> would appreciate it if someone would provide
> a list of all the experiments that did so.

Doubt that this is all of them, but Tom Roberts made a very nice list
that maps from theory to quantifiable observation via application of
the LT:

http://www.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~dkoks/Faq/Relativity/SR/experiments.html

David A. Smith
From: xxein on
On Jul 16, 2:53 pm, glird <gl...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>   It is said that the Lorentz Transformation Equations (LTE) have been
> experimentally confirmed by many different experiments. I would
> appreciate it if someone would provide a list of all the experiments
> that did so.
>
> glird

xxein: Don't worry about it. Experiments are measuremental
observations and affects. They are put into a math form without
regard to really understanding the physic that caused them to be
observed and effect in this way.

Oh wow! There is a velocity addition formula. Does it explain what
is really happening or is it just a math wysiwyg?

The Lorentz transormations are fine, but when you math-shortcut them
to SR (and its postulates), you strip the essense of the physic out of
it. I told you this before (in some fashion) but you decided that it
was too much for you to try to understand.

And now an appeal. Does anyone out there know how velocity addition
works to describe how we measure it besides a math? What is the
physical reason? I know what it is but I doubt that anyone else does.

Geez! Doesn't anybody know how to think logically of the physic
beyond the archaic sceintific method?
From: Jack Campin - bogus address on
> It is said that the Lorentz Transformation Equations (LTE) have been
> experimentally confirmed by many different experiments. I would
> appreciate it if someone would provide a list of all the experiments
> that did so.

This has nothing to do with logic.

mobile: 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin
From: Tom Roberts on
xxein wrote:
> Does anyone out there know how velocity addition
> works to describe how we measure it besides a math? What is the
> physical reason?

Consider a pointlike object moving with constant velocity v along the x axis,
and plot its x position vs time t. You'll get a straight line with a slope of v.
Now do the same for 2v, and get a straight line with slope 2v. In such a graph,
relative velocity is a rotation of the axes, and by considering the angle
related to the relative velocity, not its slope, it's clear that in Galilean
relativity when composing relative velocities the angles merely add (when
plotted on a Euclidean piece of paper).

In relativity there is also an angle associated with relative velocity, called
rapidity. When composing relative velocities, their rapidities add. But this is
hyperbolic geometry, and when plotted on a Euclidean piece of paper the angles
corresponding to the rapidities do not simply add, they combine in such a way
that the sum of angles never exceeds 45 degrees (= the invariant speed of the
Lorentz transform = the speed of light).

If you think this is far fetched, remember that v is the slope of the relative
velocity, not an angle. Look up the formula for composing two Euclidean
rotations in terms of the slopes of lines and you'll find a formula quite
similar to the Lorentz addition of velocities, differing only in a sign.

You'll also find that composing two large-enough slopes can
flip the sign of the line's slope. That's highly unphysical
when applied to relative velocities....

As for "why" hyperbolic geometry applies rather than Euclidean geometry, that is
outside the realm of science. In the world we inhabit it just does.

> I know what it is but I doubt that anyone else does.

Such hubris! Such cowardice!

Tom Roberts