From: Ian Bell on
What do you guys use for labelling prototypes? I am thinking
particularly of control panels (19 in rack mounting for example)
containing pots, toggle and rotary switched all of which need labelling.
So far I have looked at iron on T shirt printer paper, special
transparent overhead projector type film with built in adhesive and
contacted a company that does custom stick-on vinyl decals. I need
something I can design easily myself on a PC and either produce myself
or have produced at reasonable cost. Any one of more of the above might
work but before I take the plunge I thought I would ask what others use???

Cheers

Ian
From: Nunya on
On Jul 5, 8:51 am, Ian Bell <ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> What do you guys use for labelling prototypes? I am thinking
> particularly of control panels (19 in rack mounting for example)
> containing pots, toggle and rotary switched all of which need labelling.
> So far I have looked at iron on T shirt printer paper, special
> transparent overhead projector type film with built in adhesive and
> contacted a company that does custom stick-on vinyl decals. I need
> something I can design easily myself on a PC and either produce myself
> or have produced at reasonable cost. Any one of more of the above might
> work but before I take the plunge I thought I would ask what others use???
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

If all it is is a proto, then you can simply buy some Brady labels
on 8.5"x11"
stock. They also have cover labels so the thing is wipeable. THEN,
you
start thinking about silk screens. If you want that level of quality
then it
really isn't a proto. There is a new silk screen printing device for
sale on
the TV and web that prints on anything. It uses a UV scanner plate to
photo-burn the screens, and it is all in one unit.
http://www.amazon.com/Provo-Craft-Novelty-yudu-62-5000/dp/B0025T6V5C
From: Martin Riddle on

"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What do you guys use for labelling prototypes? I am thinking
> particularly of control panels (19 in rack mounting for example)
> containing pots, toggle and rotary switched all of which need
> labelling. So far I have looked at iron on T shirt printer paper,
> special transparent overhead projector type film with built in
> adhesive and contacted a company that does custom stick-on vinyl
> decals. I need something I can design easily myself on a PC and either
> produce myself or have produced at reasonable cost. Any one of more of
> the above might work but before I take the plunge I thought I would
> ask what others use???
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

Would this be in your budget? http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
I've used them once, around $100, results were nice.

Cheers

From: StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 12:31:12 -0400, "Martin Riddle"
<martin_rid(a)verizon.net> wrote:

>"Ian Bell" <ruffrecords(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> What do you guys use for labelling prototypes? I am thinking
>> particularly of control panels (19 in rack mounting for example)
>> containing pots, toggle and rotary switched all of which need
>> labelling. So far I have looked at iron on T shirt printer paper,
>> special transparent overhead projector type film with built in
>> adhesive and contacted a company that does custom stick-on vinyl
>> decals. I need something I can design easily myself on a PC and either
>> produce myself or have produced at reasonable cost. Any one of more of
>> the above might work but before I take the plunge I thought I would
>> ask what others use???
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Ian
>
>Would this be in your budget? http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/
>I've used them once, around $100, results were nice.
>
>Cheers

The "Front Panel Designer" looks pretty nice. I am going to look at
that. Looks like it might be a nice piece of software to have.

Maybe allow for a better, more accurate means of proofing and deciding
on a vendor quote.
From: mpm on
On Jul 5, 10:51 am, Ian Bell <ruffreco...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> What do you guys use for labelling prototypes? I am thinking
> particularly of control panels (19 in rack mounting for example)
> containing pots, toggle and rotary switched all of which need labelling.
> So far I have looked at iron on T shirt printer paper, special
> transparent overhead projector type film with built in adhesive and
> contacted a company that does custom stick-on vinyl decals. I need
> something I can design easily myself on a PC and either produce myself
> or have produced at reasonable cost. Any one of more of the above might
> work but before I take the plunge I thought I would ask what others use???
>
> Cheers
>
> Ian

Silkscreening. Even if a one-off.
Cheap, easy, professional-looking results.

The setup I use (Speedball, I think), has reusable screens, so once
you get going, you can change as often as your mind does.
The only major investment for me was the light stand, though you could
probably DIY roll your own.
The lightbulb is about $10, and at least here, available locally.
5000K, I think. A Photo-Flood #12, IIRC.

Good luck.
- mpm
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10