From: AndyHancock on
I am extremely frustrated at losing 1.5 hours to a puzzle that seems
to afflict XP alot (from googling). When I use my admin account, I
added a French keyboard, but there is no language icon on the system
tray. When I access the I can right-click the taskbar, choose
Toolbars, then choose the language bar, but it never becomes checked,
and the language icon never appears. No error, no informative message
explaining why, it just doesn't respond. I can go to Start-
>ControlPanel->RegionalAndLanguageOptions->Languages->Details-
>Preferences, but the LanguageBar button is always grayed out (even
after rebooting).

I don't have this problem on my nonadmin account. It seems ridiculous
that such a simple thing should take so much effort to try and
achieve. That's 1.5 hours (at least) out of an already short night of
sleep, so I'm just super pissed at the design of this feature. Can
someone please suggest something what inane thing I might be
overlooking? Much thanks.
From: Elmo on
AndyHancock wrote:
> I am extremely frustrated at losing 1.5 hours to a puzzle that seems
> to afflict XP a lot (from googling). When I use my admin account, I
> added a French keyboard, but there is no language icon on the system
> tray. When I access the I can right-click the taskbar, choose
> Toolbars, then choose the language bar, but it never becomes checked,
> and the language icon never appears. No error, no informative message
> explaining why, it just doesn't respond. I can go to Start,
> Control Panel, Regional And Language Options, Languages, Details,
> Preferences, but the Language Bar button is always grayed out (even
> after rebooting).
>
> I don't have this problem on my nonadmin account. It seems ridiculous
> that such a simple thing should take so much effort to try and
> achieve. That's 1.5 hours (at least) out of an already short night of
> sleep, so I'm just super pissed at the design of this feature. Can
> someone please suggest something what inane thing I might be
> overlooking? Much thanks.

Go to Control Panel, Regional And Language Options, Languages, Details,
Advanced tab, select System Configuration, and click Apply. Then the
Preferences may be available.

Line 194. Language Bar Remove - Restore

After you turn off the Language bar in Windows XP, you cannot turn it
back on
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819783

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/22732.htm

--