From: Marcus on
Hi

I am trying to launch notepad.exe and if someone closes it, I will
bring it back up (polling one time every minute).

For this I am using schtasks

When I run schtasks as the currently logged in user I have no problem
at all. I am using the following command:
schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /tn "notepad_task" /tr "\"C:\WINNT
\notepad.exe\""

But I want to start this as system user. I therefore add the /ru
system to the end of the command. The command now looks the following:
schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /tn "notepad_task" /tr "\"C:\WINNT
\notepad.exe\"" /ru system

The problem is that even though this command will launch a notepad.exe
(I see it in the process list), the notepad.exe application is not
visible on screen, nor is it visible in the taskbar.

Why is this, and how can I make it visible when running it as user
"system"?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Marcus" <marcussilfver(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I am trying to launch notepad.exe and if someone closes it, I will
> bring it back up (polling one time every minute).
>
> For this I am using schtasks
>
> When I run schtasks as the currently logged in user I have no problem
> at all. I am using the following command:
> schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /tn "notepad_task" /tr "\"C:\WINNT
> \notepad.exe\""
>
> But I want to start this as system user. I therefore add the /ru
> system to the end of the command. The command now looks the following:
> schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /tn "notepad_task" /tr "\"C:\WINNT
> \notepad.exe\"" /ru system
>
> The problem is that even though this command will launch a notepad.exe
> (I see it in the process list), the notepad.exe application is not
> visible on screen, nor is it visible in the taskbar.
>
> Why is this, and how can I make it visible when running it as user
> "system"?

This is by design: Tasks running under a different account must remain in
the background. If they ran in the foreground then the user in the
foreground session could exploit the user priviliges of the background
session that are possibly higher than his own.

From: Marcus on
On 12 Maj, 11:11, "Pegasus [MVP]" <n...(a)microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Marcus" <marcussilf...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi
>
> > I am trying to launch notepad.exe and if someone closes it, I will
> > bring it back up (polling one time every minute).
>
> > For this I am using schtasks
>
> > When I run schtasks as the currently logged in user I have no problem
> > at all. I am using the following command:
> > schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /tn "notepad_task" /tr "\"C:\WINNT
> > \notepad.exe\""
>
> > But I want to start this as system user. I therefore add the /ru
> > system to the end of the command. The command now looks the following:
> > schtasks /create /sc minute /mo 1 /tn "notepad_task" /tr "\"C:\WINNT
> > \notepad.exe\"" /ru system
>
> > The problem is that even though this command will launch a notepad.exe
> > (I see it in the process list), the notepad.exe application is not
> > visible on screen, nor is it visible in the taskbar.
>
> > Why is this, and how can I make it visible when running it as user
> > "system"?
>
> This is by design: Tasks running under a different account must remain in
> the background. If they ran in the foreground then the user in the
> foreground session could exploit the user priviliges of the background
> session that are possibly higher than his own.- Dölj citerad text -
>
> - Visa citerad text -

Thanks for answering. now when I think about it, it is pretty obvious.
If the application GUI was brought up by schtasks, and lets say
someone started cmd.exe from schtasks then that person could do
anything to the system.

Thanks for the help!