From: jw on
My son is in trouble. He knocked his girl friends's laptop onto the
floor and smashed the screen.

God almighty!

Anyway, all I have here are desktops, and wonder if I can connect her
hard drive from the laptop to my desktop as a second drive in order to
copy off her data, which seems to be astronomically important to her.
I see that as a temporary solution to at least preserve her data, but
I don't know what laptop HD connectors look like. I don't have a
laptop HD laying around. How hard is it to make that kind of
connection?

I guess to preserve this relationship, I could create a desktop she
can use while my she shops for a replacement laptop. What we do for
our survivors!

Duke
From: Pen on
On 6/14/2010 7:04 PM, jw(a)eldorado.com wrote:
> My son is in trouble. He knocked his girl friends's laptop onto the
> floor and smashed the screen.
>
> God almighty!
>
> Anyway, all I have here are desktops, and wonder if I can connect her
> hard drive from the laptop to my desktop as a second drive in order to
> copy off her data, which seems to be astronomically important to her.
> I see that as a temporary solution to at least preserve her data, but
> I don't know what laptop HD connectors look like. I don't have a
> laptop HD laying around. How hard is it to make that kind of
> connection?
>
> I guess to preserve this relationship, I could create a desktop she
> can use while my she shops for a replacement laptop. What we do for
> our survivors!
>
> Duke
Yes you can, but you need to find out which of the 2
possible drive types she has. It's either ide or sata.
Or you can buy one of these, which will work with any drive
type. This one is $20 from Newegg. watch the wrap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=vantec_adapter-_-12-232-002-_-Product
From: bAZZ on
In article <r0dd165afmv467ei3kdrfs12l5gkgbu2vs(a)4ax.com>, jw(a)eldorado.com
says...

> My son is in trouble. He knocked his girl friends's laptop onto the
> floor and smashed the screen.
>
> God almighty!
>
> Anyway, all I have here are desktops, and wonder if I can connect her
> hard drive from the laptop to my desktop as a second drive in order to
> copy off her data, which seems to be astronomically important to her.
> I see that as a temporary solution to at least preserve her data, but
> I don't know what laptop HD connectors look like. I don't have a
> laptop HD laying around. How hard is it to make that kind of
> connection?
>
> I guess to preserve this relationship, I could create a desktop she
> can use while my she shops for a replacement laptop. What we do for
> our survivors!
>
> Duke

There are many adaptors around that will enable you to do what you want.
Just google it and you will get many hits !

I have reused old drives from dead laptops by getting an external USB
case and using the drive in them as a portable drive. It is a cheap and
easy way to recycle them. Obviously you have to get one that is
compatible with your drive but it will be either IDE if older and most
newer ones are SATA. A quick google again will provide you with pictures
of the two so you can work out which you have.

Good Luck
bAZZ
From: jw on
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:21:04 -0400, Pen <nospam(a)spam.none> wrote:

>Yes you can, but you need to find out which of the 2
>possible drive types she has. It's either ide or sata.

Oh yeh - I forgot to say that I am knowledgeable about SATA and PATA
connections in a desktop. In fact I have both right now. Sorry.

>Or you can buy one of these, which will work with any drive
>type. This one is $20 from Newegg. watch the wrap.
>
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002&cm_re=vantec_adapter-_-12-232-002-_-Product

Hey - This looks like a winner. As long as the laptop HD connection
is a STANDARD PATA or SATA, which is something I do not know right
now.

Duke
From: jw on
On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:25:58 +1200, bAZZ <noSPAM(a)this.address.net>
wrote:

>There are many adaptors around that will enable you to do what you want.
>Just google it and you will get many hits !
>
>I have reused old drives from dead laptops by getting an external USB
>case and using the drive in them as a portable drive. It is a cheap and
>easy way to recycle them. Obviously you have to get one that is
>compatible with your drive but it will be either IDE if older and most
>newer ones are SATA. A quick google again will provide you with pictures
>of the two so you can work out which you have.
>
>Good Luck
>bAZZ

Thanks

Duke