From: Alpha on
Recently we noticed that the hidden Installer folder on this Win XP Pro SP3
machine is taking up almost 4 GB of space.
The whole System drive Acronis image itself is 5 GB.
Can the contents of this folder be moved to a separate internal hard drive,
just as we moved the My Documents and Service Pack files folders?
The Acronis image used to be just under 3 GB till two weeks ago.
The only changes on this PC have been the patch Tuesday earlier this week
and installation of all the NET frameworks last week.
CrapCleaner is configured to remove all Hotfixes as well as contents of the
Software Distribution and $hf_mig$ folders.
It is desired that the total image size be below 4.5 GB so we can use the
single layer DVD writer to burn the Acronis image on just one disk.
Regards and TIA.
Alpha
-------

From: Shenan Stanley on
Alpha wrote:
> Recently we noticed that the hidden Installer folder on this Win XP
> Pro SP3 machine is taking up almost 4 GB of space.
> The whole System drive Acronis image itself is 5 GB.
> Can the contents of this folder be moved to a separate internal
> hard drive, just as we moved the My Documents and Service Pack
> files folders? The Acronis image used to be just under 3 GB till two weeks
> ago.
> The only changes on this PC have been the patch Tuesday earlier
> this week and installation of all the NET frameworks last week.
> CrapCleaner is configured to remove all Hotfixes as well as
> contents of the Software Distribution and $hf_mig$ folders.
> It is desired that the total image size be below 4.5 GB so we can
> use the single layer DVD writer to burn the Acronis image on just
> one disk. Regards and TIA.

Acronis image is likely compressed. Don't go by that size to judge an
actual install.

What has your system adminstrator given you (advice)?
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Windows+XP%22+clean+installer+folder

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP