From: emmanuel on
I am in similar situation but with a 27000 item multiselect parameter.

The following approach did improve performance a bit as it generates the string from the selected items in vb instead of sql/mdx but it is still quite slow in long parameter lists.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/cf0ef6ba-d128-4acf-899d-48df71c60296

The info provided by this post is not 100% accurate (at least in my case) it needs some changes in the quotes around the query in OLEDB.

Emmanuel

peter feakins wrote:

Large multi-select list box - performance
05-May-10

We have large multi-select list box (8000 items). When we run the report in
visual studio (database is on separate server) the select box loads very
quickly and
when we click view report it renderes quickly ( both wothin a few seconds).

When we deployed the report to the reporting services server and attempt to
execute the report the remotely we have performance issues. The initial
report is executed will take close to 2 minutes. The queries themselves run
very quickly. Other reports without the large multi-select execute very
quickly.

What accounts for the difference in performance between the two environments?

--
peter feakins

On Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:56 PM
peter feakins wrote:

Large multi-select list box - performance
We have large multi-select list box (8000 items). When we run the report in
visual studio (database is on separate server) the select box loads very
quickly and
when we click view report it renderes quickly ( both wothin a few seconds).

When we deployed the report to the reporting services server and attempt to
execute the report the remotely we have performance issues. The initial
report is executed will take close to 2 minutes. The queries themselves run
very quickly. Other reports without the large multi-select execute very
quickly.

What accounts for the difference in performance between the two environments?

--
peter feakins

On Wednesday, May 05, 2010 12:58 PM
Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:

What version of RS?
What version of RS?

The 8000 item list, is it filled with a query or stored procedure?

Seems unreasonable to have users scroll 8000 items. Have you considered
cascading parameters?

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

BOOK REVIEW: Effective C#, Second Edition [Addison Wesley]
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b2f8766d-a4c1-4d5a-97af-c38852b3b455/book-review-effective-c.aspx
From: Bruce L-C [MVP] on
You really need to consider cascading parameters. Humans have to interact
with the list. 27,000 item multiselect parameter is ridiculous. Good luck
the user even being able to tell what they have selected or find what they
want to select. Cascading parameters is the way to go.