From: Jack on
Can you be a little more specific on the orders and steps? I did, but it did not work. I am re-tracing what I did wrong. After install of the new instance, point to the same database, no other changes need to be made?

Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:

Yes it is possible and I am running that way.
21-Jan-09

Yes it is possible and I am running that way. But, be careful and read up on
it. The first time I did it I tried doing it without much research. I
thought I knew how it would work since I had done the same thing with the
move from RS 2000 to RS 2005. Well, it is not the same at all.

The architecture of RS has completely changed. Previously RS was an asp.net
application. It was dependent on IIS. That is no longer true. RS does not
use IIS. When you install you can still set it up that the same URL as
before will work. By default RS 2008 uses port 80 which is the same as IIS.
It puts itself in the call chain before IIS and grabs anything that has been
registered to be with RS.
Installation starts out the same whether an upgrade or a new RS installation
using SQL 2005. There is no such thing as an in-place upgrade. You install a
new instance of RS 2008 and then remove the old instance. The installation
is a new Files Only Install using a named instance. At the end in the
initialization steps you tie RS 2008 to the database. The two important
links for the install are below:

Prior to installing use the RS 2005 Configuration Tool to export your
encryption key, be sure to note the password, then, stop RS 2005. In
addition I would stop the websites using IIS Manager if at all possible.

After dealing with the upgrade everything has worked great. I will most
likely stay on a 2005 DB for quite awhile longer since I time that based on
when I get in-house corporate support.

--
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services

"Chabotwvu" <Chabotwvu(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:10 AM
Chabotwv wrote:

SSRS 2008 Upgrade with 2005 DB
I am currently running my Dev and QA environments on seperate servers with
Reporting Services and Database Services located on the same server,
basically a single server deployment of SQL Server 2005. My Prod environment
is two web servers (hardware load balanced) with SSRS 2005 and the SSRS
catalog is located on a seperate Prod SQL Server.

My Question is I would like to upgrade SSRS to 2008 but keep my existing DB
services as 2005 what do I need to do perform this action and is it even
possible? Is it even possible on a single server deployment (Dev and QA)?

The reason I am doing this is that we have a lot of SSIS and SSAS; plus we
have processes and our main Data Warehouse on the SQL Server's. I am just
not ready to upgrade the whole thing but I would love to take advantage of
the new controls in SSRS 2008.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 9:54 AM
Bruce L-C [MVP] wrote:

[...]

On Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:19 AM
Chabotwv wrote:

Re: SSRS 2008 Upgrade with 2005 DB
Thank You for the information and the quick response.

"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:

WPF GridView Sample To Insert, Update, and Delete Records
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/fc9a5bf6-f5bb-4443-a92a-c9a46fd3aeb2/wpf-gridview-sample-to-in.aspx