From: Mayan Moudgill on

All I've come across is the announcement that Larrabee has been delayed,
with the initial consumer version cancelled. Anyone know something more
substantive?

From: nmm1 on
In article <xv2dnXl4eYh1kYbWnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d(a)bestweb.net>,
Mayan Moudgill <mayan(a)bestweb.net> wrote:

>All I've come across is the announcement that Larrabee has been delayed,
>with the initial consumer version cancelled. Anyone know something more
>substantive?

Eh? As far as I know, Intel have NEVER announced any plans for a
consumer version of Larrabee - it always was an experimental chip.
There was a chance that they would commoditise it, for experimental
purposes, but that didn't seem to pan out. Their current plans are
indicated here:

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/Tera-Scale/1421.htm

They hope to have systems shortly, and to allow selected people
online access from mid-2010, so I would guess that the first ones
that could be bought would be in early 2011. If all goes well.

I have absolutely NO idea of where they are thinking of placing it,
or what scale of price they are considering.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: Michael S on
On Dec 6, 10:57 am, n...(a)cam.ac.uk wrote:
> In article <xv2dnXl4eYh1kYbWnZ2dnUVZ_q2dn...(a)bestweb.net>,
> Mayan Moudgill <ma...(a)bestweb.net> wrote:
>

> >All I've come across is the announcement that Larrabee has been delayed,
> >with the initial consumer version cancelled. Anyone know something more
> >substantive?
>
> Eh? As far as I know, Intel have NEVER announced any plans for a
> consumer version of Larrabee - it always was an experimental chip.
> There was a chance that they would commoditise it, for experimental
> purposes, but that didn't seem to pan out. Their current plans are
> indicated here:
>
> http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/Tera-Scale/1421.htm
>
> They hope to have systems shortly, and to allow selected people
> online access from mid-2010, so I would guess that the first ones
> that could be bought would be in early 2011. If all goes well.
>
> I have absolutely NO idea of where they are thinking of placing it,
> or what scale of price they are considering.
>
> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

Nick, SCC and Larrabee are different species. Both have plenty of
relatively simple x86 cores on a single chips but that's about only
thing they have in common.

1. Larrabee cores are cache-coherent, SCC cores are not.
2. Larrabee interconnects have ring topology, SCC is a mesh
3. Larrabee cores are about vector performance (512-bit SIMD) and SMT
(4 hardware threads per core). SCC cores are supposed to be stronger
than Larrabee on scalar code and much much weaker on vector code.
4. Larrabee was originally intended for consumers, both as high-end 3D
graphics engine and as sort-of-GPGPU. Graphics as target for 1st
generation chip is canceled, but it still possible that it would be
shipped to paying customers as GPGPU. SCC, on the other hand, is
purely experimental.

From: Michael S on
On Dec 6, 3:46 am, Mayan Moudgill <ma...(a)bestweb.net> wrote:
> All I've come across is the announcement that Larrabee has been delayed,
> with the initial consumer version cancelled. Anyone know something more
> substantive?

Short article by David Kanter:
http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT120409180449
From: Michael S on
On Dec 6, 6:16 pm, Michael S <already5cho...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> 4. Larrabee was originally intended for consumers, both as high-end 3D
> graphics engine and as sort-of-GPGPU. Graphics as target for 1st
> generation chip is canceled, but it still possible that it would be
> shipped to paying customers as GPGPU.

Sorry, I missed the latest round of news. In fact GPGPU is canceled
together with GPU. So now 45nm LRB is officially "a prototype".
http://www.anandtech.com/weblog/showpost.aspx?i=659
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Prev: PEEEEEEP
Next: Texture units as a general function