From: apollo11_1969 on
Hi. I have db with a number of people and they do a certain type of a course,
but they have to have refresher courses every couple of years. How do I get
a list that has one occurrence of each name with the last time they took the
course? e.g.
what I have:
Name Course Date
Joe 1A 01/05/2006
Mary 1A 05/08/2007
Joe 1A 05/08/2007
Rich 1A 07/04/2001
Mary 1A 06/07/2009

What I want:
Joe 1A 05/08/2007
Mary 1A 06/07/2009
Rich 1A 07/04/2009
From: NG on
Hi,

you can create a groups query grouped bij person and course and show the
max(date)

gr
NG

From: apollo11_1969 on
Hi. Thanks NG. What is a 'groups query'. Looked it up in help and in my
Access for dummies book, but cdn't find it. FYI I'm on Access 2003.

Apollo11_1969

From: Jerry Whittle on
Check out Totals queries in Help. If you look at the SQL statement for a
Totals query, you'll see a "Group By" clause. That's probaby why NG called it
a 'groups' query.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: apollo11_1969 on
Hi Jerry. Thanks. Yes, I had tried a variety of max/last etc, in a no. of the
query fields - e.g. I put in 'last' in the date field, but there are still
multiple occurrences for each person when I run query. NG hadn't said what to
group by though [for the person & course]. There needs to be something that
links the date to the person I guess, so that it's the most recent date [for
that course] for that employee.

Thanks
Apollo11_1969