From: HeyBub on
You may recall I pointed out to a columnist the availability of "Soundex"
techniques to discover terrorists by name. (See post "Learning Opportunity")

Well, just today:

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) � A senior counterterrorism official said on Wednesday
his agency lacks "Google-like" search capability that could have identified
the suspect in the attempted Christmas Day airline bombing.

"The National Counterterrorism Center, the agency charged with reviewing
disparate data to protect against attacks, does not have a computer search
engine that could have checked for various spellings of the alleged bomber's
name and his birthplace in Nigeria, the center's chief told a Senate hearing
on security reform."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100120/tc_nm/us_security_usa_search

We ARE being led by well-meaning fools...

From: Kerry Liles on
"HeyBub" <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> You may recall I pointed out to a columnist the availability of "Soundex"
> techniques to discover terrorists by name. (See post "Learning
> Opportunity")
>
> Well, just today:
>
> "WASHINGTON (Reuters) � A senior counterterrorism official said on
> Wednesday his agency lacks "Google-like" search capability that could have
> identified the suspect in the attempted Christmas Day airline bombing.

....snip

> We ARE being led by well-meaning fools...

I hope you are not just finding that out... hehe.
Those of us elsewhere in the world have known that for some time
(meanwhile, we also suffer from different, less well-meaning, bigger fools!)

From: HeyBub on
Kerry Liles wrote:
> "HeyBub" <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
>> You may recall I pointed out to a columnist the availability of
>> "Soundex" techniques to discover terrorists by name. (See post
>> "Learning Opportunity")
>>
>> Well, just today:
>>
>> "WASHINGTON (Reuters) � A senior counterterrorism official said on
>> Wednesday his agency lacks "Google-like" search capability that
>> could have identified the suspect in the attempted Christmas Day
>> airline bombing.
> ...snip
>>

>> We ARE being led by well-meaning fools...
>>

> I hope you are not just finding that out... hehe.
> Those of us elsewhere in the world have known that for some time
> (meanwhile, we also suffer from different, less well-meaning, bigger
> fools!)

Lawrence J. Peter - the discoverer of the "Peter Principle" and a Canadian -
once said: "I have been studying government, man and boy, for over forty
years. I have yet to discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools
or by really intelligent people who are just putting us on."

From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:38:31 -0600, "HeyBub" <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com>
wrote:

>Lawrence J. Peter - the discoverer of the "Peter Principle" and a Canadian -
>once said: "I have been studying government, man and boy, for over forty
>years. I have yet to discover whether we are being led by well-meaning fools
>or by really intelligent people who are just putting us on."

I suspect we are led mostly (in government and business), by people
who are mostly concerned with their short term gain, expecting long
term problems to be passed to others.

It's a sort of Maslow hierarchy of needs. Sure they would like to
work for the long term benefit of their political entity (by however
they define that), but it is a secondary interest.

- James Madison
From: Anonymous on
In article <6eadnfdij6kSqcXWnZ2dnUVZ_tCdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>,
HeyBub <heybub(a)NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>"The National Counterterrorism Center, the agency charged with reviewing
>disparate data to protect against attacks, does not have a computer search
>engine that could have checked for various spellings of the alleged bomber's
>name and his birthplace in Nigeria, the center's chief told a Senate hearing
>on security reform."
>
>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100120/tc_nm/us_security_usa_search
>
>We ARE being led by well-meaning fools...

Years ago I formulated something along the lines of 'If in a society which
has an ethos of 'a job well-done for a buck well-paid' and a government
which offers salaries below industry norms then you will, most likely, end
up with a civil service populated by dilettantes and second-raters.'

DD