From: Charles Hottel on

>> "Pete Dashwood" <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message

<snip>

> I'm sure a similar algorithm could be devised for Spanish (or most other
> languages); the rules are well established and quite simple.
>
> Pete.
> --
> "I used to write COBOL...now I can do anything."

Yes I remember reading an article about way to modify the soundex algorithm
for other languages. IIRC it was in AI Expert magazine.

From: Howard Brazee on
I once worked for a company that gives free magazines to people who
qualify. It needed to be sure it had the right clientele to the
customers.

So it had to analyze the cards people send in, finding duplicates and
bogus entries. (We had a "dirty word" file which was used for some
of this checking).

Obviously Soundex was part of the process. It had some Trade Secret
coding that was produced in an isolated room because the industry
standard data clean-up wasn't adequate for its needs.

- James Madison
From: john on
On Jan 11, 10:27 am, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> I once worked for a company that gives free magazines to people who
> qualify.   It needed to be sure it had the right clientele to the
> customers.
>
> So it had to analyze the cards people send in, finding duplicates and
> bogus entries.   (We had a "dirty word" file which was used for some
> of this checking).
>
> Obviously Soundex was part of the process.    It had some Trade Secret
> coding that was produced in an isolated room because the industry
> standard data clean-up wasn't adequate for its needs.
>
> --
> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>
> - James Madison

At one time the Social Security Administration was the largest
computer shop in the world.
Soundex coding has been used in that shop for many decades. Maryland
drivers licenses use it also.
My license begins with C-435.