From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Gordon Burditt wrote:
>>> What is the legal status of such cases in other countries?
>>
>> While references to laws in other countries are awaited, the following
>> question seems also to be interesting:
>>
>> If in a concrete case the court (acting like in Germany) asks an expert
>> to testify whether the passeword involved is secure, how would he
>> proceed?
>
> If in a concrete case the court asks an expert to testify whether the
> bank vault involved is secure, how would he proceed?
>
> No bank vault is secure against a sufficient number of nuclear
> weapons (and for ones that aren't buried, 1 is likely to be
> sufficient). If it can be opened with a combination alone, the
> combination can be guessed. Some *unlocked* bank vaults are secure
> against 3-year-olds, who lack sufficient strength to open them.
> Security is a matter of degree, not an absolute.
>
> Sometimes a question as phrased has no answer, and an expert witness
> should ask to have the question rephrased, or refuse to answer on
> the grounds that he doesn't understand the question. Is the defendant
> evil? Is the defendant stupid? Is the defendant a jerk?

I would be interested anyway to see some arguments of security
"parallel" to the case of the bank vaults in the case of passwords,
despite there being clearly inherent differences. For that would be
a good start for further fruitful discussions. I certainly don't assume
that your last paragraph meant that the term "security of passwords"
were scientifically undefined or ill-defined. So would some experts
of the group "commence" to say something on the issue?

Thanks.

M. K. Shen

From: Gordon Burditt on
>>> If in a concrete case the court (acting like in Germany) asks an expert
>>> to testify whether the passeword involved is secure, how would he
>>> proceed?
>>
>> If in a concrete case the court asks an expert to testify whether the
>> bank vault involved is secure, how would he proceed?
>>
>> No bank vault is secure against a sufficient number of nuclear
>> weapons (and for ones that aren't buried, 1 is likely to be
>> sufficient). If it can be opened with a combination alone, the
>> combination can be guessed. Some *unlocked* bank vaults are secure
>> against 3-year-olds, who lack sufficient strength to open them.
>> Security is a matter of degree, not an absolute.
>>
>> Sometimes a question as phrased has no answer, and an expert witness
>> should ask to have the question rephrased, or refuse to answer on
>> the grounds that he doesn't understand the question. Is the defendant
>> evil? Is the defendant stupid? Is the defendant a jerk?
>
>I would be interested anyway to see some arguments of security
>"parallel" to the case of the bank vaults in the case of passwords,
>despite there being clearly inherent differences. For that would be
>a good start for further fruitful discussions. I certainly don't assume
>that your last paragraph meant that the term "security of passwords"
>were scientifically undefined or ill-defined.

If you mean that a password is either secure or it isn't, no middle
ground, then I'd certainly say that the term is undefined or
ill-defined. There is no absolute security.

>So would some experts
>of the group "commence" to say something on the issue?

If you mean to ask whether a password is secure or not, *AS A YES/NO
CHOICE*, then the answer to the question asked is either that the
question doesn't make sense, or "No password that can be guessed
is secure".

You can make a reasonable *economic* argument for "adequate" security.
On the defender's side: How much will you lose if the password is
guessed? How much does it cost for the password protection? How
much does an equivalent amount of theft insurance cost? It's not
reasonable to install a $5,000 lock to protect a piggy bank containing
$5 for an attack lasting a year, but it is reasonable to install
such a lock for a safe containing $500,000.

On the attacker's side: How much will the attacker gain if he
guesses the password? How much will it cost the attacker to mount
an attack? If it costs $5,000,000 in time and effort to mount an
attack to steal $500,000, chances are the attacker won't bother.
There are easier targets out there, and perhaps easier ways to get
the money in the safe, such as bribing an employee for the combination.

In the case of open-access WLANs, the owner of the WLAN
may lose almost nothing from an attacker using it, so not bother
with a password which is "too much trouble". The attacker
gets the use of the WLAN to spam, defraud, or whateve he does.
The Internet at large loses a lot from the spam, fraud, and extra
traffic.

From: Mok-Kong Shen on

That the password issue in general remains unsatisfactory is
reflected in recent articles e.g.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9177780/Researchers_Poor_password_practices_hurt_security_for_all
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3