From: Mok-Kong Shen on

If one doesn't secure his WLAN connection with an appropriate password,
then he would be (to a certain extent) responsible for eventual abuses
by others, according to a recent verdict of the German
Bundesgerichtshof:

http://juris.bundesgerichtshof.de/cgi-bin/rechtsprechung/document.py?Gericht=bgh&Art=pm&pm_nummer=0101/10

What is the legal status of such cases in other countries?

Thanks.

M. K. Shen
From: Tom St Denis on
On May 28, 9:39 am, Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.s...(a)t-online.de> wrote:
> If one doesn't secure his WLAN connection with an appropriate password,
> then he would be (to a certain extent) responsible for eventual abuses
> by others, according to a recent verdict of the German
> Bundesgerichtshof:
>
> http://juris.bundesgerichtshof.de/cgi-bin/rechtsprechung/document.py?...
>
> What is the legal status of such cases in other countries?

In Canada you're not responsible for your net connection in that way.
Though if your IP gets used for illegal activity you might be on the
receiving end of a search warrant.

Tom
From: unruh on
On 2010-05-28, Carsten Krueger <cakruege(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Fri, 28 May 2010 09:52:09 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Tom St Denis:
>
>> In Canada you're not responsible for your net connection in that way.
>> Though if your IP gets used for illegal activity you might be on the
>> receiving end of a search warrant.
>
> Than everbody could lie about the usage and say my open wlan was used by
> someone else.

Just like you can murder someone and lie and say you did not do it.
The legal system is used to dealing with lies.

From: unruh on
On 2010-05-28, Carsten Krueger <cakruege(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Am Fri, 28 May 2010 10:53:53 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Tom St Denis:
>
>> All I said is if someone uses your wifi to then commit crimes you are
>> NOT liable for it. Not that "anything goes on the net."
>
> Only in criminial law or in civil law, too?

The only diffeence is in the standard of proof (beyond a reasonable
doubt vs balance of probabilities)

From: Mok-Kong Shen on
Mok-Kong Shen wrote:

> If one doesn't secure his WLAN connection with an appropriate password,
> then he would be (to a certain extent) responsible for eventual abuses
> by others, according to a recent verdict of the German
> Bundesgerichtshof: [snip]

One should use a sufficiently long and secure password, says the
verdict. But how "precisely" could one determine whether a given
password is safe or not, there being a plethora of (well-known or
yet unknown) means of cracking passwords?

M. K. Shen

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Major step ahead for cryptography