From: Alistair on
On Feb 20, 5:37 pm, "James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletet...(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
>
> > I've seen the six digit date (YYMMDD) subtracted from one million and
> > used as a key.
>
> What sort of ansi-smansy technique is that ?

Beats me but it was what we used. I can not remember whether it was a
cobol or assembler based system. We also had a format of packed
decimal where we removed the sign nibble. It made work for the
worrking man to do but at that time file space was in short supply.

> Now the date one above is daft.

Sez you, but it worked.

> And being a COBOL system we are talking
> fairly current dates, i.e., for the year 2010 we are in the range 2009
> to 2011 as an example. I don't think too many COBOL programmers are
> interested in the date for Trafalgar or the Battle of Waterloo;

October 21st 1805 and 18th June 1815 respectively. My two most
favourite battles and I do read up on them often (I found out new
stuff about Trafalgar only yesterday).

> well not
> to show bias - or the date for the Boston Tea Party.

Who cares about a minor colonial spat?

> It's easily achievable in COBOL date functions to go from what I term
> ISO-Format6 (yymmdd) to ISO-Format8 (CCyymmdd); same with the (North
> American) NA-Format6

New fangled format which only Americans use.

> or EU-Format6 and get back an ISO-Format8 giving
> you a true ccyymmdd key.
>
> That date technique above. I've seen the same approach with some 4 M/F
> users querying, 'why doesn't this work' when they dream up a routine for
> getting the M/F usage of file-status-1 = "9"; they get some weird and
> wonderful three-digit error numbers. One kid, (presumably), drove me
> nuts, saying he was using a routine dreamed up where he worked and they
> had used it for years. I can only assume they never got any file errors
> that hit the '9' condition. In exasperation I wrote to him, "Don't
> believe a word of what I'm saying. Take the M/F piece of code I've
> pointed you at and try it. See how it compares with what you are trying
> to use!". I'm fairly certain with reference to file-status codes, that
> particular piece of code pops up in their on-line manuals.
>
> Jimmy, Calgary AB
>
> PS: Knew you would. Thanks for contacting the guy on N/E 5.1.- Hide quoted text -

I nearly didn't see the requirement. Probably best, if you want my
attention, to email me direct.

From: James J. Gavan on
Alistair wrote:

> October 21st 1805 and 18th June 1815 respectively. My two most
> favourite battles and I do read up on them often (I found out new
> stuff about Trafalgar only yesterday).

What, like herself was on board and Nelson said "Kiss me Emma", rather
than perhaps "Kismet, Hardy" ?

>>It's easily achievable in COBOL date functions to go from what I term
>>ISO-Format6 (yymmdd) to ISO-Format8 (CCyymmdd); same with the (North
>>American) NA-Format6
>
> New fangled format which only Americans use.

Oh so wrong. I've already told you. In the Great White North we use all
six possible formats. A little respect please for a former colony; this
one, not the one below the 49th.

>>PS: Knew you would. Thanks for contacting the guy on N/E 5.1.- Hide quoted text -
>
> I nearly didn't see the requirement. Probably best, if you want my
> attention, to email me direct.

Duly noted. BTW did you check that M/F Excel demo. Still got to pause in
the code with a Breakpoint in the Animator but both the sheets showing
ENLARGED single letters of the alphabet and the Chart are in the taskbar
at the foot of your screen. Silly me.

Jimmy

From: Alistair on
On Feb 20, 11:03 pm, "James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletet...(a)shaw.ca>
wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
>
> > October 21st 1805 and 18th June 1815 respectively. My two most
> > favourite battles and I do read up on them often (I found out new
> > stuff about Trafalgar only yesterday).
>
> What, like herself was on board and Nelson said "Kiss me Emma", rather
> than perhaps "Kismet, Hardy" ?
>
> >>It's easily achievable in COBOL date functions to go from what I term
> >>ISO-Format6 (yymmdd) to ISO-Format8 (CCyymmdd); same with the (North
> >>American) NA-Format6
>
> > New fangled format which only Americans use.
>
> Oh so wrong. I've already told you. In the Great White North we use all
> six possible formats. A little respect please for a former colony; this
> one, not the one below the 49th.

Yes, I should show more respect for our allies from the war of 1812.
BTW, do you mention the great American defeat to anyone from south of
the border? I hear that they proudly proclaim that they have never
lost a war.

> >>PS: Knew you would. Thanks for contacting the guy on N/E 5.1.- Hide quoted text -
>
> > I nearly didn't see the requirement. Probably best, if you want my
> > attention, to email me direct.
>
> Duly noted. BTW did you check that M/F Excel demo. Still got to pause in
> the code with a Breakpoint in the Animator but both the sheets showing
> ENLARGED single letters of the alphabet and the Chart are in the taskbar
> at the foot of your screen. Silly me.

I only converted the PECD code and did not check the result of the MF
demo program. I was too pleased at getting my first ever OO Cobol
program to work to think of anything else.

From: James J. Gavan on
Alistair wrote:
> On Feb 20, 11:03 pm, "James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletet...(a)shaw.ca>
> wrote:
>>Oh so wrong. I've already told you. In the Great White North we use all
>>six possible formats. A little respect please for a former colony; this
>>one, not the one below the 49th.
>>

> Yes, I should show more respect for our allies from the war of 1812.
> BTW, do you mention the great American defeat to anyone from south of
> the border? I hear that they proudly proclaim that they have never
> lost a war.

I've never had much interest in Canadian history as it is primarily
parliamentarian. Just like I switched off English history around the
Hanoverian Georges. Granted there have been some interesting MPs, but
time and again I'm intrigued by the players of the Tudor period.

The 1812 War. That's one snippet I remember. The Canucks burned down
their first White House. (On reflection, I wish Dubya had been inside).

> BTW did you check that M/F Excel demo. Still got to pause in
>>the code with a Breakpoint in the Animator but both the sheets showing
>>ENLARGED single letters of the alphabet and the Chart are in the taskbar
>>at the foot of your screen. Silly me.
>
> I only converted the PECD code and did not check the result of the MF
> demo program. I was too pleased at getting my first ever OO Cobol
> program to work to think of anything else.

Unfortunately I have a problem with that. OO is a concept regardless of
language and over time has an accepted set of rules, classes, objects,
inheritance etc. Bearing in mind that Simula (from Norway ?) was
concerned with 'simulating' hence their initial OO approach. Then you
move on to Xerox PARC, (Xerox (P)alo (A)lto (R)esearch (C)enter). I
think they were at that time brilliant young people who dreamed up what
became Smalltalk, which of course was a complimentary extension of the
Simula ideas. Fine and dandy to dream something up, but how do you
demonstrate it to your bosses - the Photo-copier salesmen running Xerox.

Next step, drawings and figures, (the first amateurish GUIs), which were
not OO but accessed through OO features. We don't even stop to think as
we type into a word processor package; it's automatic, "It's always been
around hasn't it ?". The first challenge they took was to produce a word
processor. It would require much patience, but given the rich set of M/F
support classes in Net Express, it would be possible to produce a word
processor in Net Express. But why re-invent the wheel there is more than
one superb word processor package around.

Just as a sample of what PARC had to consider, and reading this you will
visualize others. You type a whole paragraph. Now you want to insert
some text as an extension to an existing sentence, or perhaps change or
delete words. Later on you might what to highlight that paragraph and
perhaps move it up or down. Pretty neat in current word processors, but
imagine thinking of that with an empty white board before you start. One
of their juniors, but highly prized, was a feisty young girl Adele
Goldberg. She damn-well wanted to prove it worked. They produced stick
figures and she and a buddy quietly nipped out the front door,
unauthorized, with a couple of the machines they were working on and
took them to a local school for the kids to play with the stick figures.
It was a hit.

The dumb photo-copier salesmen didn't get it. But Steve Jobs did and
after two visits to PARC introduced the Lisa machine. Looking over
Steve's shoulder was Bill Gates who gave us Winders. Why isn't Smalltalk
a current success story - non-existent marketing. It's confusing, there
seem to be so many versions of Smalltalk currently and the commercially
sold ones have added GUI classes,and other support classes. I don't know
if there is something called ANSI-Smalltalk; I doubt it.

I haven't got a mental note of PECD's example, so I can't really
comment. But if you look at that M/F example it is most definitely a
PROCEDURAL program, a series of steps invoking OO-features (or
GUI-features if you prefer). That hardly makes it an OO example. That's
not knocking M/F, it goes step-by-step, procedurally to give you a feel
as to what is going on. Although my hobby DateAndTime is an OO class
with methods, I have a procedural program up front, just like M/F used,
for testing and displaying results to a developer. This front-end
program is nothing to do with the OO concept; you would never use it.

If I suggested the M/F enhanced SCREEN SECTION as a way of doing things,
you would naturally query "Why ?". People reading about OO get duped
into thinking GUIs are part of it. Excel is a tool, with templates added
with their OWN way of recognizing features for which they supply
parameters. You get at it using OO - ONCE you know all the ins and outs
of the bloody package !

Our friend Judson, now into BASIC was an evangelical in more than one
way. He BELIEVED in M/F's SCREEN SECTION. He proudly proclaimed about
the numerous lines of code he used to knock out, like a salty newspaper
man at his typewriter. I always used to think, just how many times does
he do copy and paste or re-invent the wheel by different coding. He was
a success story though - I recall a photo of him stood against a snazzy
red sports car. I wouldn't have bothered to even try, (if you can't drag
him away for one minute from the Bible, not likely he would do a mind
change about OO). Here's the point - I could have provided him with
COBOL file handling as OO Classes, and surprise, surprise I could 'wrap'
his SCREEN-SECTION code in OO. Again, nothing to do with GUIs.

Almost missed it, but don't want to be negative. I'm glad you got some
satisfaction out of what you did; should help to whet your appetite.
Carry on the good work.

Jimmy
From: Anonymous on
In article <a5679210-0b4d-40a1-91c5-6c1f580cb446(a)j27g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Feb 20, 12:08?am, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:

[snip]

>> Imagine - I know it may be difficult! - a company which added secondary
>> keys in descending timestamp sequence for date/time of last order.
>>
>> (ain't nobody never seen nothing like that no time, right?)
>
>I've seen the six digit date (YYMMDD) subtracted from one million and
>used as a key.

One might wonder how such experience could be made to fit into the set of
negatives which precedes it.

DD

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7