From: Craig Andersen on

Is there a place where the default dynamic library path is set for
executables ? The default LD_LIBRARY_PATH load perhaps.

I noticed that the path /usr/lib64/tls, /usr/lib64/x86-64, /usr/lib64
were checked prior to the ld.so.cache (set up by ldconfig).

I have a /usr/local/lib entry in ld.so.cache but since it picks up the
/usr/lib64 version first, no joy.

It is preferable to not mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Just trying to understand the library load order by default, my example
sets up a 64 environment obviously.
From: Malcolm on
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:37:41 -0500
Craig Andersen <andersen7(a)charter.net> wrote:

> Is there a place where the default dynamic library path is set for
> executables ? The default LD_LIBRARY_PATH load perhaps.
>
> I noticed that the path /usr/lib64/tls, /usr/lib64/x86-64, /usr/lib64
> were checked prior to the ld.so.cache (set up by ldconfig).
>
> I have a /usr/local/lib entry in ld.so.cache but since it picks up
> the /usr/lib64 version first, no joy.
>
> It is preferable to not mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Just trying to understand the library load order by default, my
> example sets up a 64 environment obviously.
Hi
/etc/ld.so.conf which also includes files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/

--
Cheers Malcolm ��� (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.32.12-0.7-default

From: Craig Andersen on
Malcolm wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:37:41 -0500
> Craig Andersen<andersen7(a)charter.net> wrote:
>

>> Is there a place where the default dynamic library path is set for
>> executables ? The default LD_LIBRARY_PATH load perhaps.
>>
>> I noticed that the path /usr/lib64/tls, /usr/lib64/x86-64, /usr/lib64
>> were checked prior to the ld.so.cache (set up by ldconfig).
>>
>> I have a /usr/local/lib entry in ld.so.cache but since it picks up
>> the /usr/lib64 version first, no joy.
>>
>> It is preferable to not mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>>
>> Just trying to understand the library load order by default, my
>> example sets up a 64 environment obviously.
> Hi
> /etc/ld.so.conf which also includes files in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/

Not correct as far as I can tell, the paths are looked at prior to
the ld.so.cache formed by /etc/ld.so.conf

/usr/lib64/tls, /usr/lib64/x86-64, and /usr/lib64 are looked at prior to
what is in /etc/ld.so.conf like some deafult loader library path !?
From: Michael Soibelman on
Craig Andersen wrote:

> Is there a place where the default dynamic library path is set for
> executables ? The default LD_LIBRARY_PATH load perhaps.
>
> I noticed that the path /usr/lib64/tls, /usr/lib64/x86-64, /usr/lib64
> were checked prior to the ld.so.cache (set up by ldconfig).
>
> I have a /usr/local/lib entry in ld.so.cache but since it picks up the
> /usr/lib64 version first, no joy.
>
> It is preferable to not mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> Just trying to understand the library load order by default, my example
> sets up a 64 environment obviously.

I've read and re-read your post and it 'seems' to be 'confused'. So, I'll
ask you what exactly you are trying to run ??

It seems you are on a 64bit system. It also seems that you have installed a
library file in /usr/local/lib and then ran 'ldconfig' as root to update
your linker cache ?? Now is this a library that is needed to run
your 'executable' file ?? Is this library not available as a regular rpm
package so that you can install it in the normal way ? If
the 'executable' file is one that you compiled from source did you not
first install that required /usr/local/lib file and then compile
your 'executable' with the path to your library file passed at
the './configure' step ??

Please tell us what you are trying to do/run that is failing.

Confused & Tired

P.S. Perhaps a symlink is in order ?
From: Michael Soibelman on
Michael Soibelman wrote:

> Craig Andersen wrote:
>

>> Is there a place where the default dynamic library path is set for
>> executables ? The default LD_LIBRARY_PATH load perhaps.
>>
>> I noticed that the path /usr/lib64/tls, /usr/lib64/x86-64, /usr/lib64
>> were checked prior to the ld.so.cache (set up by ldconfig).
>>
>> I have a /usr/local/lib entry in ld.so.cache but since it picks up the
>> /usr/lib64 version first, no joy.
>>
>> It is preferable to not mess with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>>
>> Just trying to understand the library load order by default, my example
>> sets up a 64 environment obviously.
>
> I've read and re-read your post and it 'seems' to be 'confused'. So, I'll
> ask you what exactly you are trying to run ??
>
> It seems you are on a 64bit system. It also seems that you have installed
> a library file in /usr/local/lib and then ran 'ldconfig' as root to update
> your linker cache ?? Now is this a library that is needed to run
> your 'executable' file ?? Is this library not available as a regular rpm
> package so that you can install it in the normal way ? If
> the 'executable' file is one that you compiled from source did you not
> first install that required /usr/local/lib file and then compile
> your 'executable' with the path to your library file passed at
> the './configure' step ??
>
> Please tell us what you are trying to do/run that is failing.
>
> Confused & Tired
>

> P.S. Perhaps a symlink is in order ?

Or perhaps you need to add /usr/local/lib to your PATH ???
Check to see if this is the case ?? If so just add this location to your
PATH environment variable.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Php undefined variable