From: Chente on
If I bought a Dell Computer with XP pre installed (got the disk anyway) and
that machine is dead, can I install this XP in a new HP machine purchased
recently?
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Chente" <Chente(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I bought a Dell Computer with XP pre installed (got the disk anyway)
> and
> that machine is dead, can I install this XP in a new HP machine purchased
> recently?

Sorry, you can't. OEM licences are married to the machine on which the
product was installed. Divorce is not possible.

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
No.

From: C on
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
> "Chente" <Chente(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> If I bought a Dell Computer with XP pre installed (got the disk anyway)
>> and
>> that machine is dead, can I install this XP in a new HP machine purchased
>> recently?
>
> Sorry, you can't. OEM licences are married to the machine on which the
> product was installed. Divorce is not possible.

Correction: *branded* OEM versions are married to the machine, not
generic OEM versions; and, although the EULA of same prohibits it, it is
possible.

From: Daave on
C wrote:
> Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>> "Chente" <Chente(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> If I bought a Dell Computer with XP pre installed (got the disk
>>> anyway) and
>>> that machine is dead, can I install this XP in a new HP machine
>>> purchased recently?
>>
>> Sorry, you can't. OEM licences are married to the machine on which
>> the product was installed. Divorce is not possible.
>>

> Correction: *branded* OEM versions are married to the machine, not
> generic OEM versions; and, although the EULA of same prohibits it, it
> is possible.

I suppose we could extend the metaphor and call that "cheating." ;-)