From: Bob Willard on
Most of my SOHO printing is B&W, for which I use my trusty-but-slow
HP LJ 4L (purchased in the summer of 1994, and still working well).
For the rare color printout, I've had a number of inkjet printers
from a number of vendors, but they all clog due to being unused for
days or weeks at a time.

If I get a color laser printer, will it be trouble-free with occasional
use?

(I won't print photos, since I can get super quality by emailing
the .JPGs to a commercial photo store.)
--
Cheers, Bob
From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <hoifh8$pcf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Bob Willard <BobwBSGS(a)TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:

> If I get a color laser printer, will it be trouble-free with occasional
> use?

Bob-

The answer is a definite maybe!

There is no printhead to clog. The one serious problem I can imagine,
would be if the printer were subjected to continuous high humidity. It
would probably survive that if it were always on, so internally
generated heat would keep it dry.

I have two HP2605DN color laser printers connected to ethernet ports of
WiFi base stations for wireless printing. One at my Mom's house is
normally turned off and unplugged. It is only used when I am there.
For over a year, it has given no trouble.

One here has been left on continuously for about two years, although it
is not heavily used. There has been no serious problem. On rare
occasion there appears to be some kind of network glitch. Turning the
printer off and back on again, has always cleared the problem.

An HP4600N connected to the WiFi base station, ran for about four years
before it died. It is probably repairable but the HP2605DN makes the
old clunker obsolete.

Fred
From: Don Phillipson on
"Bob Willard" <BobwBSGS(a)TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote in message

> Most of my SOHO printing is B&W, for which I use my trusty-but-slow
> HP LJ 4L (purchased in the summer of 1994, and still working well).
> For the rare color printout, I've had a number of inkjet printers
> from a number of vendors, but they all clog due to being unused for
> days or weeks at a time.
>
> If I get a color laser printer, will it be trouble-free with occasional
> use?

The HP LJ models of the 1990s were (not cheap and)
built to last. No SOHO laser printers are nowadays
built to last.

To prevent your difficulty with clogged inkjet printers,
some brands (e.g. Brother) are hard-wired to run
cleaning routines regularly (even if switched off.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Warren Block on
Bob Willard <BobwBSGS(a)TrashThis.comcast.net> wrote:
> Most of my SOHO printing is B&W, for which I use my trusty-but-slow
> HP LJ 4L (purchased in the summer of 1994, and still working well).
> For the rare color printout, I've had a number of inkjet printers
> from a number of vendors, but they all clog due to being unused for
> days or weeks at a time.
>
> If I get a color laser printer, will it be trouble-free with occasional
> use?

In general, yes, they should be trouble-free. Toner is a dry powder,
and there aren't any tiny nozzles to clog.

Note that there are also non-toner technologies like the Xerox solid ink
printers that may have their own low-duty-cycle problems.

From: Adam on
Don Phillipson wrote:
> The HP LJ models of the 1990s were (not cheap and)
> built to last. No SOHO laser printers are nowadays
> built to last.

I'll vouch for that! I was offered an HP Color LaserJet 5 (or maybe
5M), manufactured 1997, and it's still working with very few
problems beyond routine maintenance. Cost of OEM consumables and
replacement parts thru eBay is almost nothing. I read the original
price was US $7500, later $5000.

OTOH it's the size of a window air conditioner, weighs 102 lbs. (46
kg.) empty, takes a while to warm up, is noisy, slow in color
(sometimes 0.1 ppm), and is a power hog (60W when not printing)...
but it's likely to outlast every other part of my system!

Adam
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: How to find out an actual page count?
Next: Jedan vic