From: Matthew Dempsky on
As a quick update, with some off-list help, I've updated the code to
resolve a few interoperability issues that showed up on other networks
and to make some of the error handling more robust. To anyone who
downloaded version 0.01, I'd appreciate if you gave 0.05 a shot as
well:

http://shinobi.dempsky.org/~matthew/nbtls/nbtls-0.05.zip

Same operation as before: just unzip and run "python nbtls.py". Test
reports still welcome.

Thanks. :)
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 12:25:00PM -0700, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
[...]
> Test reports still welcome.

thank you for a nice tool!

but on some hosts:

__cut__
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "nbtls.py", line 39, in <module>
_addr, rdata = netbios.doit(bcaddr, '\1\2__MSBROWSE__\2', 1, broadcast=True)
File "/tmp/nbtls/netbios.py", line 83, in doit
r, (addr, port) = s.recvfrom(4096)
socket.timeout: timed out
__cut__

what am i doing wrong?

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:18 PM, christian <samba(a)sisyphus.ch> wrote:
> thank you for a nice tool!

Thanks. :)

> __cut__
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "nbtls.py", line 39, in <module>
>    _addr, rdata = netbios.doit(bcaddr, '\1\2__MSBROWSE__\2', 1, broadcast=True)
>  File "/tmp/nbtls/netbios.py", line 83, in doit
>    r, (addr, port) = s.recvfrom(4096)
> socket.timeout: timed out
> __cut__
>
> what am i doing wrong?

It looks like it can't find any master browsers on your network. Does
"smbtree -NS" work on this host?

Btw, can I infer from "but on some hosts" that there are other ones
that it does work fine? Does it successfully list all the same names
that "smbtree -NS" does on those?

Thanks for the feedback. :)
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Matthew Dempsky <matthew(a)dempsky.org> wrote:
> It looks like it can't find any master browsers on your network.  Does
> "smbtree -NS" work on this host?

Also, what's the output of "nmblookup -M -- -" on this host? (That's
two dashes, and then one dash.)
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 03:03:18PM -0700, Matthew Dempsky wrote:
> > what am i doing wrong?
>
> It looks like it can't find any master browsers on your network. Does
> "smbtree -NS" work on this host?

yes, it does.
in some environments it works, in some others it doesn't.

> Btw, can I infer from "but on some hosts" that there are other ones
> that it does work fine? Does it successfully list all the same names
> that "smbtree -NS" does on those?

yes!
as i said - really a nice tool.

in some environment (where it woeked yesterday), though it *does* list
most names (all but one), but:

__cut__
error: trouble enumerating "MSHEIMNETZ":
{{{
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "nbtls.py", line 50, in ?
print group + ': ' + ', '.join(enum(bcaddr, group, ENUM_HOSTS))
File "nbtls.py", line 33, in enum
return smb.doit(nbs, group, what)
File "/tmp/nbtls/smb.py", line 260, in doit
s.connect((addr, 445))
File "<string>", line 1, in connect
error: (111, 'Connection refused')
}}}