From: "Kammen van, Marco, Springer SBM NL" on
Dear All,

Yesterday i noticed that one of our smarthosts wasn't delivering mail anymore.
Soon saw that both Domain Controllers that are being used for ldap lookups where down.
Changed the ldap lookups to new domain controllers, immediatly afterwords the postmaster mailbox started to fill with these errors.

Transcript of session follows.
 Out: 220 server ESMTP Postfix
 In:  HELO host
 Out: 250 server
 In:  Mail from:<email(a)address>
 Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
 In:  RCPT to:<email(a)address>
 Out: 451 4.3.0 <email(a)address>: Temporary lookup failure
 In:  QUIT
 Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye

Now i know that this is because we have "notify_classes = resource, software" enabled in main.cf
Is there a way to limit the amount of warning mails that are sent?
At the time we noticed the problem (US turned off their DC's while it was night in Holland) we received 350.000 warning mails in the postmaster box.

I ended up in deleting and recreating the Postmaster box....

Thanks for any advise!

-
Marco van Kammen
Springer Science+Business Media
System Manager & Postmaster
-
van Godewijckstraat 30 | 3311 GX
Office Number: 05E21
Dordrecht | The Netherlands
-
tel
 +31(78)6576446
fax
 +31(78)6576302

-
www.springeronline.com
www.springer.com
-

From: Noel Jones on
On 2/4/2010 7:00 AM, Kammen van, Marco, Springer SBM NL wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Yesterday i noticed that one of our smarthosts wasn't delivering mail anymore.
> Soon saw that both Domain Controllers that are being used for ldap lookups where down.
> Changed the ldap lookups to new domain controllers, immediatly afterwords the postmaster mailbox started to fill with these errors.
>
> Transcript of session follows.
> Out: 220 server ESMTP Postfix
> In: HELO host
> Out: 250 server
> In: Mail from:<email(a)address>
> Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
> In: RCPT to:<email(a)address>
> Out: 451 4.3.0<email(a)address>: Temporary lookup failure
> In: QUIT
> Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye
>
> Now i know that this is because we have "notify_classes = resource, software" enabled in main.cf
> Is there a way to limit the amount of warning mails that are sent?

There is no setting to limit the number of warnings. It's
either on or off.

You may be able to set an upper limit with mailbox_size_limit
(systemwide setting, only for local mailbox delivery), or
quotas in your delivery agent.

-- Noel Jones