From: Gerald W. Lester on
Simon wrote:
> I have just written a small program drives a Team Foundation client
> using the command-line interface. For example:
>
> eval exec tf history /noprompt $file
>
> The problem I'm having is that all the output is truncated to 79
> characters. If I issue the command in a cygwin terminal or DOS prompt
> the output is not truncated which suggests it's something to do with
> tcl, on the other hand the output from a similar subversion command:
>
> eval exec svn blame $file
>
> is not truncated which implies that it's something to do with the 'tf'
> command.
>
> I have tried using open and sending the results straight to a file but
> the truncation still happens.
>
> I'g greatly appreciate any suggestions for getting the complete output.

It may want to be talking to a "terminal" -- try using expect extension.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald.Lester(a)kng-consulting.net |
From: Simon on
On 01/07/2010 10:41, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> * Simon<simon(a)whiteowl.co.uk>
> | eval exec tf history /noprompt $file
>
> Why 'eval'? Is $file not just the file name, but some more options to
> the command? If not, get rid of the 'eval', it will make the exec fail
> if $file contains spaces...

$file is just the name of the file with no embedded spaces. So both

eval exec tf [list history /noprompt $file]

and

exec tf history /noprompt $file

give the same result. I've tried this in a cygwin window, a DOS window
and a Tk console and the output is always truncated. Thanks for the
suggestions.

From: Simon on
On 01/07/2010 04:34, Gerald W. Lester wrote:
<snip>

> It may want to be talking to a "terminal" -- try using expect extension.

Good idea. I'll try it and report back on how I get on.

Simon