From: Philippe Auphelle on
Hi,

Does any of you All knows what happened to the old Link&Locate?
It seems to have totally vanished, and I don't see much suitable
replacement for it...

TIA,

Phil
From: Jim Stewart on
Philippe Auphelle wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does any of you All knows what happened to the old Link&Locate?
> It seems to have totally vanished, and I don't see much suitable
> replacement for it...

These guys can probably help you:

http://www.devtools.com/pcpp/linker.htm

From: Jonathan Kirwan on
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:58:25 -0700, Jim Stewart <jstewart(a)jkmicro.com>
wrote:

>Philippe Auphelle wrote:
>
>> Does any of you All knows what happened to the old Link&Locate?
>> It seems to have totally vanished, and I don't see much suitable
>> replacement for it...
>
>These guys can probably help you:
>
>http://www.devtools.com/pcpp/linker.htm

There were at least three such tools once available, years back. I
remember one coming from SSI (Systems & Software, Inc.), which is the
one you are mentioning. Their product worked with Microsoft C (v 5.0
and 5.1, when I was using it) and MASM (also 5.0 and 5.1) and they
also had another product called "SoftProbe." Paradigm Systems was
some of their competition (mentioned in the above link) at the time,
if memory serves.

Rick Naro of Paradigm was very kind to me a few years back and after
some email exchanges and a phone call or two, took all the trouble it
took them to provide me with a complete, older package of their C
compiler and linking tools. It wasn't easy for them and we went
through a couple of iterations of effort on their end. He didn't
charge. You might explain carefully your circumstances and need and
ask them to suggest an option. I believe you will find them to be
very fair and earnest, based on my own experiences.

I don't believe their product has the ability to copy segments, just
classes. But you probably don't need that feature, anyway.

Jon
From: Hans on
Perhaps this one http://www.leonardo.caltech.edu/~ee5x/tools/ ?

Hans
www.ht-lab.com

From: Philippe Auphelle on
Thanks a lot to you all.

I have a moderately complex link / locate problem that (if I remember)
some of the latest (and last) generation of "technical" OMF overlay
linkers were able to solve. Heck, the documentation for a linker like
PLINK was a thick 3-ring binder, and it had nearly as much directives as
the CPU has instructions!
In one word, the problem is about having volatile (init time) segments
and core segments, all in a Group, and having the toolchain insure that
no code from the core ever attempts to reference anything from the init
(while references the other way are allowed).
When I started to google around a few days ago, I realized that all of
those mighty linking tools had totally disappeared. They were already
considered outmoded when the internet started to build up, so they
hardly ever got referenced.

Jonathan, I found that Link&Locate belonged to SSI, then Beacon
Development Tools, that merged into Embedded System Products, Inc in Dec
98, and then was bought at some point by Quadros Systems, Inc, that is
now in a different sector of activity. I just discovered today that
Comsol, a UK company, *seems* to still carry the SSi tools.

Jim and Jonathan, I have been in contact with Rick Caro of Paradigm -
Paradigm was in my investigation list for the kind of tools I'm after.
He's been nice, helpful and friendly, but the Paradigm tools don't have
what I'm looking for.

Hans, thanks for a great link. I thought those too had definitely gone
to oblivion.

The bottom line is that I went back to the TIS Relocatable OMF
Specification 1.1 and I'm about to make my own tools.
I shouldn't have to go to the point of writing my own linker / locator
:) , but I'll take the same .obj files input as the linker to provide
the checking I need and abort the make if any error appears.

Doesn't seem too bad at this point.

Thanks again to all,

Phil