From: Ian Bell on
I am trying to get a handle on the current (or at least fairly recent) 8 bit
microcontroller market. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence around,
usually to show a particular manufacturer in a favourable light but apart
from spending several grand on a marketing report I have been unable to
find a set of basic figures for recent years. There are broad figures up to
2000 in the FAQ but nothing more detailed or recent.

Any ideas where this can be found at little or no cost. I am thinking market
share by value, shipments and processor type - that sort of thing.

Ian
From: Eric on
Ian Bell wrote:
> I am trying to get a handle on the current (or at least fairly recent) 8 bit
> microcontroller market.

The market has become more specialized in recent years, and it's hard
to make generalizations about which maker is the cheapest, or the best
able to fill orders, etc.

I always start by trying to determine what mix of on-chip peripherals I
want, and what kind of processing speed and power dissipation needs I
have.

These are some of the basic families to look at: AVR, PIC, hc08, 8051,
h8. I'm sure there are others.

The 8051 segment is huge, with many vendors offering specific
advantages. Silabs is my current favorite for higher performance needs,
but their are cheaper makers if your needs are very basic. I also like
the royalty free USB and Ethernet stacks from Silabs and that helps to
offset any cost issues if you need a high quantity.

If you really hate Harvard, the hc08/hcs08 from Freescale is always a
good choice. I think the current numbers show them out front overall,
but as I said, you have to be careful to consider specialized needs in
today's crowded 8-bit market. This is not a one-size-fits-all kind of
market any more.

I've went to 16 bits for many of my new designs. The MSP430 is very
good if you need low power operation (they cover a wide range of
pinouts and options), and the hc12/9s12 from Freescale are similar to
their 8 bit offerings, but improved in many ways.

However, the biggest single trend in the past couple years is the
popularization of the Arm 32-bit devices. You can get a nice lpc2103
for a cheaper price than many 8 or 16 bit devices. The new Cortex M3
devices from Luminary are a recent development in the low-end of the 32
bit segment.

Five years ago it was much easier to select an 8-bit device. Now there
are many to pick from, and you can even scale up to 16 or 32 bits and
still stay within your cost constraints in some cases.

One of the other big considerations is your software toolsets. Some
families have better open source options and that might weigh heavily
if your quantity requirements are low. Once you pick a software toolset
you're likely going to be locked-in for a long time, so pick wisely.

Eric

From: Robert_Teufel on
Ian Bell wrote:
> I am trying to get a handle on the current (or at least fairly recent) 8 bit
> microcontroller market. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence around,
> usually to show a particular manufacturer in a favourable light but apart
> from spending several grand on a marketing report I have been unable to
> find a set of basic figures for recent years. There are broad figures up to
> 2000 in the FAQ but nothing more detailed or recent.
>
> Any ideas where this can be found at little or no cost. I am thinking market
> share by value, shipments and processor type - that sort of thing.
>
> Ian

Hi Ian,

first of all, I appreciate your contributions to this group, that's why
I will take a few minutes and try to answer your question to the best
of my abilities.
I work for a company that manufactures 8051 derivatives and we follow
the market all the time and I try to keep this as unbiased as possible.
The leader in units is Microchip, accounting for all the PIC1x devices.
The leader in Dollar volume is probably still Freescale (latest data I
have is 2004), including ancient devices such as the HC05, all 08
devices, HC11 and may be some more.
The 8051 claims to to have the widest coverage of applications or in
other words, most designs of all 8-bits.
The AVR does not make it into this most... list, yet but it is
definitely a another "force" in the 8-bit.
Going with any of these architectures should be fairly save for years
to come. At least it will not force you to switch architectures,
nevertheless, devices will be discontinued as older manufacturing
processes become unavailable and the design can not easily be
transferred to newer technologies. E.g. I would be very reluctant to
use a 5V device that has been on the market for several years, as 5V
compatible processes are approaching the end of their life-cycle. There
are (somewhat expensive) options to make a newer process 5V compatible
but this requires a significant redesign.

As my company is still designing new 8-bit devices but focusing more on
32-bit ARM devices, I would really recommend to have a look at the
available ARM7 devices.
If it does not need to be a sub $1 device, your standby current does
not need to be below 1 uA and a package of 48-pins is not too big,
there are plenty of options.

Robert

From: Bill Giovino on
Except for companies where the 8-bit is their primary company strategy (like Microchip),
there is a subtle defocusing of 8-bit from the major players in order to make room in
the fab for higher margin parts. The real growth for embedded systems is in low-power
16-bit processors.

But really, the answer to your question all depends on what you want the data for. Are
you looking to serve a market with tools, compilers, services, etc. or are you planning
a new microcontroller introduction? Are you looking at competitive or non-competitive
cores and markets? You have to treat the 8051 separately because it is less an 8-bit
product, rather, it is a separate market segment. These are all important issues.

Regards,

Bill Giovino
Executive Editor
http://Microcontroller.com

From: Joerg on
Hello Ian,

> I am trying to get a handle on the current (or at least fairly recent) 8 bit
> microcontroller market. There is plenty of anecdotal evidence around,
> usually to show a particular manufacturer in a favourable light but apart
> from spending several grand on a marketing report I have been unable to
> find a set of basic figures for recent years. There are broad figures up to
> 2000 in the FAQ but nothing more detailed or recent.
>
> Any ideas where this can be found at little or no cost. I am thinking market
> share by value, shipments and processor type - that sort of thing.

You've got good advice by Eric and Robert and I won't add to the HW
aspect since I am certainly not the expert here.

However, there is one thing that I regularly had to consider as a
manager or when designing uC into otherwise analog circuitry for my
clients: Availability of programmers. This is where (so far) the 8051
has beaten all others hands down. It was always easy to find local
talent to write 8051 code while other uC architectures would have often
forced us to fly someone in.

Another thought is about what you want to do with it and whether the mfg
supplies enough info for the task at hand. For example, twice I had
considered the MSP430 because it would have been a glove fit but I was
unable to crank details about the DCO and port drivers/receivers out of
TI. So I went the analog route.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com