From: Joerg on
Hello Everett,

>>>No assembly, C, state machines, or RTOS required. Maybe my
>>>microwaving needs are too primitive?
>>>

>>According to Yuriy most consumer needs appear to be primitive.
>

> Somebody didn't get mine quite right in that it's possible
> to open the door without the unit stopping if the door is
> opened just as the timer counts to zero. Very repeatable.

Seriously, this needs to be reported. Somebody could get hurt.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
From: Ulf Samuelsson on
"Jonathan Kirwan" <jkirwan(a)easystreet.com> skrev i meddelandet

>>> Not necessarily. This is a general paradigm.
>>> The user interface is not the part of the code, but a pack of data to be
>>> plugged into the menu driver. The development of the user interface is
>>> separated from the development of the code.
>>
>>It is an act of purist optimism to expect an assembler programmer
>>to know or use a resource compiler.
>
> I've been writing code for Windows, since Win286 and Win386 came out,
> making it almost useful. I develop and have developed Windows
> applications for national, commercial sale in VC++, VB, and other
> languages and I'm an "assembler programmer," too. Both broadly
> speaking and in terms of having written Windows assembly code for VxDs
> (no resource compiler for this) and general Windows applications
> (using resource compilers, obviously.) I don't recommend using
> assembly for writing most Windows applications, unless it is your
> intent to gain a deep understanding of how Windows works and
> particularly about the messaging processes. I'm also familiar with
> the details of automation interfaces, type libraries and ODL, ATL,
> COM, marshaling and IDL, etc.
>
> So your comment sounds to me like "purist prejudice," Ulf.
>
> Jon

I consider you then a C and Assembler programmer so above comments dont
apply ;-)

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson

From: Everett M. Greene on
Joerg <notthisjoergsch(a)removethispacbell.net> writes:

> >>According to Yuriy most consumer needs appear to be primitive.
> >
> > Somebody didn't get mine quite right in that it's possible
> > to open the door without the unit stopping if the door is
> > opened just as the timer counts to zero. Very repeatable.
>
> Seriously, this needs to be reported. Somebody could get hurt.

I reported it to the Consumer Product Safety (Commission?).
I got a canned response from the (Dept. of Commerce?) telling
me what the charter of the Department is! Nothing else then
or since.

[Have you ever gotten a reasonable/any response to contacting
a U.S. government entity via their Web site? All have a
boiler-plate page saying that they respond within 24 hours.
Maybe that's a typo and instead of "hours" they mean "years".]
From: Joerg on
Hello Everett,

>>>Somebody didn't get mine quite right in that it's possible
>>>to open the door without the unit stopping if the door is
>>>opened just as the timer counts to zero. Very repeatable.
>>
>>Seriously, this needs to be reported. Somebody could get hurt.
>

> I reported it to the Consumer Product Safety (Commission?).
> I got a canned response from the (Dept. of Commerce?) telling
> me what the charter of the Department is! Nothing else then
> or since.

Still have to do it. I'd also notify the V.P. of quality control of the
mfg or distributor. A canned or no response does not relieve an agency
or company from liability if something really bad happens and they could
have prevented it because they were notified. The trial lawyers would be
all over them.

> [Have you ever gotten a reasonable/any response to contacting
> a U.S. government entity via their Web site? All have a
> boiler-plate page saying that they respond within 24 hours.
> Maybe that's a typo and instead of "hours" they mean "years".]

Yes, I did. But I have also had some that didn't care. In very rare
cases I write directly to the top brass or, if that doesn't help, our
representative. The level of attention usually changes dramatically and
instantly after that.

From: David Brown on
Ulf Samuelsson wrote:
>>> Resource compiler ? Is this some Microsoft specific product ?
>> Not necessarily. This is a general paradigm.
>> The user interface is not the part of the code, but a pack of data to be
>> plugged into the menu driver. The development of the user interface is
>> separated from the development of the code.
>>

> It is an act of purist optimism to expect an assembler programmer
> to know or use a resource compiler.

I'd expect any serious assembler programmer to be capable of using (and
writing, as necessary) resource compilers suitable for the job. I've
written dozens of resource compilers of various types, such as for
generating lookup tables, turning picture bitmaps into some form for
storage, or generating menus in different languages. Sometimes these
are stand-alone programs, sometimes they are just sets of assembly
macros. Either way, "resource compilers" are essential for handling any
complicated data on an embedded system (in assembler, C, or whatever).

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
Prev: Tiny Bootloader
Next: Link&Locate 86?