From: JohnT on
Hi All,

Has anyone manged to get the tiny bootloader from
http://www.etc.ugal.ro/cchiculita/software/picbootloader.htm working?

I have a 16F877A with a 4MHz crystal. I modified the frequency in the
software and downloaded it with no problem. Running the software it
discovers the PIC with no problem.

However, I tried to create a simple program in assembler that would
turn on all the outputs of Port B. I know my program works fine as
I've downloaded it using a programmer. However, when I download it
using the bootloader nothing happens. It appears that the PIC is
'stuck' in the bootloader section and not jumping to my code when it's
done.

I suspect this is the case as the bootloader software detects the PIC
straight away without the need for me to reset the PIC.

Any ideas anyone?

John

From: RaceMouse on
JohnT wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone manged to get the tiny bootloader from
> http://www.etc.ugal.ro/cchiculita/software/picbootloader.htm working?
>
> I have a 16F877A with a 4MHz crystal. I modified the frequency in the
> software and downloaded it with no problem. Running the software it
> discovers the PIC with no problem.
>
> However, I tried to create a simple program in assembler that would
> turn on all the outputs of Port B. I know my program works fine as
> I've downloaded it using a programmer. However, when I download it
> using the bootloader nothing happens. It appears that the PIC is
> 'stuck' in the bootloader section and not jumping to my code when it's
> done.
>
> I suspect this is the case as the bootloader software detects the PIC
> straight away without the need for me to reset the PIC.
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> John

Greetings

First: You don't download _TO_ something. you upload _TO_ a device !
(I really couldn't help it :-) )

Second : Have you made sure that you application program starts at the
same address as the booloader jumps to when it does not receive a char
from the PC ?

/RaceMouse
From: Pietje Bell on
Does the bootloader needs to know where the application is programmed?
(at what address)

-------- Origineel bericht --------

From: larwe on

RaceMouse wrote:

> First: You don't download _TO_ something. you upload _TO_ a device !
> (I really couldn't help it :-) )

You'd have no idea how many arguments I've had about this. I agree with
what you just said, but I've never been able to convince anyone else of
this. It is common parlance that programming a chip is "downloading to"
that chip.

From: RaceMouse on
larwe wrote:
> RaceMouse wrote:
>

>>First: You don't download _TO_ something. you upload _TO_ a device !
>>(I really couldn't help it :-) )
>

> You'd have no idea how many arguments I've had about this. I agree with
> what you just said, but I've never been able to convince anyone else of
> this. It is common parlance that programming a chip is "downloading to"
> that chip.

As long as you agree with me you're doing fine :-)

The only way to change this "common parlance" is to use the correct
terms. Agree ?

-maybe the discussion belongs in an other thread but ...

/RaceMouse