From: Jay on
Links read, only now I'm even more confused.

From: Jay on
OK, I MAY be starting to get this (and I do mean maybe).

The "Index As Access Path" option is in OLE DB Providers for access to
non-SQL Server database systems (where MS doesn't know their capabilities).

If you're linking a SQL Server database, this issue simply doesn't even come
up.

Yes? No?

From: TheSQLGuru on
Isn't this pretty clear:

"Using the OLE DB provider's indexes has performance benefits only when the
index and table rowsets are on the same computer as the instance of
Microsoft� SQL Server�. Thus, the Index AS Access Path option should be set
only if the data source is on the same computer as SQL Server."

No idea WHY performance is beneficial only when data source is on same
computer as SQL Server, but there you have it.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Jay on
I spent some time reading that and I don't think it's clear at all.

I'm on Server A (which must be SQL Server) setting up a linked server to
Server B (which could be Oracle, ODBC, Access, or SQL Server). If Server B
is SQL Server, or Access, then there is no provider.

The "Index As Access Path" is a configuration option for a provider.

So, a comment discussing a provider option for SQL Server is not clear.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Jay (spam(a)nospam.org) writes:
> OK, I MAY be starting to get this (and I do mean maybe).
>
> The "Index As Access Path" option is in OLE DB Providers for access to
> non-SQL Server database systems (where MS doesn't know their
> capabilities).
>
> If you're linking a SQL Server database, this issue simply doesn't even
> come up.
>
> Yes? No?

Probably. Note that this is a *provider* option, not a server option. If
you set this option, it applies to all linked servers that uses this
provider.

I can't say that I fully understood the explanations from Books Online, and
I have worked some with OLE DB programming.

A good tip is that if you don't understand the meaning of option, you
should not fiddle with it. :-)

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last